Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Battery Size/ Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 11:00 AM
Default Battery Size/ Replacement

Hi All,

I had my battery replaced today with a 643MF Diehard Gold Battery. I previously had a group 86 Magnaforce...but the car wouldn't start last week. Boosted it, died a couple days later. Boosted again and brought it in, and they thought it was just because my Stinger positive terminal was a little loose. Tightened it and sent me on my way, and it died again today.

Brought it in and they said the charge test said replace battery (it was 3 years old), so had 1/2 the prorated warranty cover the new one (which has a 36 month direct replacement warranty). They didn't have a Group 86 size in and said it was tougher to get as its a "weird" size, so they suggested the 643MF and said it fits in well and is overall a better battery for the truck.

My question is: the 634MF size obviously isnt the same size (or stock fit), but they said it is a beefier battery that would be better for my H3 Alpha. It fits "ok" in the box just the stock cover doesn't clamp down. They seated it under the corners of the stinger terminals, so it holds pretty securely (is just off kilter an inch or so).

Would appreciate any feeedback. Thanks!

I just want to know...does this all sound ok? This new size won't do any damage or cause any problems, moving from the Group 86 right?

Old 08-09-2019, 02:28 PM

As long as the battery is properly secured on the hold down, and the terminals are tight, I don't see a problem.

Old 08-09-2019, 02:32 PM

hey Hummerz,

Thanks. Yup they secured it down, its in there nice and tight. The battery cover on top doesn't clip up straight but its fine, cables and all are secure.

Thats the exact one except its branded differently in Canada (DIEHARD GOLD 634mf, 690 CCA, 820 CA. They said it is a beefier battery than I had before which is good.

Thanks for confirming!

Old 08-09-2019, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by jman1335
hey Hummerz,

Thanks. Yup they secured it down, its in there nice and tight. The battery cover on top doesn't clip up straight but its fine, cables and all are secure.

Thats the exact one except its branded differently in Canada (DIEHARD GOLD 634mf, 690 CCA, 820 CA. They said it is a beefier battery than I had before which is good.

Thanks for confirming!
Yes, batteries can have different labels yet still come from the same manufacturer. Diehard changed their battery manufacturer a few years ago to East Penn.
East Penn Manufacturing | Transportation batteries