Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Are ARB Bumpers Legal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 04:48 AM
Banned
Default Are ARB Bumpers Legal?

I'm looking at picking up front and rear ARB bumpers but are they street legal?

I see that the front ARB bumper is compatible with the airbag but that doesn't tell me if it is DOT approved.

Thanks,

Old 05-18-2011, 09:18 PM

if you are that worried, then don't buy. A lot of items we buy are not legal for our cars. Raise it up or lower it and it might not be within DOT bumper height to prevent rollover or submarine. Put on clear side lights, not dot.............

Old 05-18-2011, 09:54 PM
Wink

Florida its 28 front 30 rear and you must haver "A" bumper. I have never seen either enforced, especially with an H3. they aren't large vehicles.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:33 AM

As far as legal not sure but I have an ARB bumper and warn winch on my Alpha. I'm a legionnaire and there are a lot of law enforcement that show up at the post and I've never had any trouble! (Indiana)

Old 06-13-2011, 11:33 PM

I can't see why the ARB bumpers wouldn't be legal. I have an ARB rear bumper and a friend has the front. We both live in Austin and have never had any problems with 35" tires. If fact an insurance company bought mine after a honda civic ran into the back of me. Barely scatched my H3 and totaled the entire front of the civic. My good luck was that the insurance adjuster owned a rock crawing rig on 38's with welded diffs and an exo skelaton. Big thanks to the insurance adjuster and his love for ARB. The rear bumper has a license plate relocation bracet you have to use. The front works with the factory air bags so that's not an issue. As far as height, the rear bumper has better angles for gound clearance but is no higher than stock and the front is about the same as stock with the addition of a grill gaurd. They both do protect the H3 a lot better that the stock bumpers. In Texas I don't think that the height of the bumpers is much of a concern however the height of the head lights is.

Get the bumpers, you will love them.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:27 PM

I believe it depends if you state has a "reconstruction law (recon)" Here in Hawaii it was that way for awhile but not anymore. Recon law states that anything removed and replaced with other than OEM product would require an inspection to clear DOT!
Running a Road Armor Bumper on my 05 Ram Diesel with no tickets, just for my tires sticking out.
Love the way these type of bumpers make it possible to "run over brush/trees" out in the wild!