Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Anybody else get a letter from GM?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Default Anybody else get a letter from GM?

I just received a letter from General Motors saying my '08 Alpha was randomly selected to undergo some emission testing at the GM Milford Proving Grounds here in Michigan. The testing will be conducted entirely on a chassis dyno, and will have about 80 miles put on, plus the 30 miles each way from my home to the proving grounds. They will need it for approximately 10 days. GM will provide me with a loaner vehicle with a full tank of gas and unlimited miles which they will drop off and pick up at my choice of home or work (don't know what vehicle), return my H3 washed and with a full tank of gas, and a check for $150. During testing any parts in need of repair to conduct the tests will be replaced with new parts free of charge. Was curious if anyone else got one of these letters, as I'm thinking about doing it. I'm going to ask if I can get a dyno read-out of hp and torque.

Last edited by Broken Halo; 09-08-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
I just received a letter from General Motors saying my '08 Alpha was randomly selected to undergo some emission testing at the GM Milford Proving Grounds here in Michigan. The testing will be conducted entirely on a chassis dyno, and will have about 80 miles put on, plus the 30 miles each way from my home to the proving grounds. They will need it for approximately 10 days. GM will provide me with a loaner vehicle with a full tank of gas and unlimited miles (don't know what), return my H3 washed and with a full tank of gas, and a check for $150. During testing any parts in need of repair to conduct the tests will be replaced with new parts free of charge. Was curious if anyone else got one of these letters, as I'm thinking about doing it. I'm going to ask if I can get a dyno read-out of hp and torque.
I say go for it! Just make sure everything is written down in paper and signed off when you drop off your ride. No,i have not received anything like that.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:39 AM

Wow, is there a contact number you can call to speak to someone for verification? I haven't received a letter, but they'd be **** outta luck with ours anyway because of the mods we've done. Keep us informed.....

Old 09-09-2012, 07:18 AM

Interesting concept. I wonder what GM is up to. I have an '08 Alpha and I have not received a letter. At least not yet.

I am really interested in understanding why GM would want to conduct tests on a vehicle that they have discontinued. Are they worried about a recall?

Please keeps us all posted if you decide to do this.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by mgoblue85
Wow, is there a contact number you can call to speak to someone for verification?
They provided a phone number for a Q&A session which I plan on calling Monday. Possibly the random pick was for the 5.3L engine as opposed to the H3 Alpha. Since it's for emission testing I'll probably be disqualified when I inform them I've added the K&N, AirDoc, and Magnaflo exhaust.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:09 AM

I bet your location makes your 3 desireable. The "fix whatevers broke" almost sounds to good to be true but heck I would do it. You are probably right about the mods though.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:04 PM

Maybee a scam...................

Old 09-13-2012, 09:33 PM
Default No, not a scam

I am a former GM Exec and Milford does stuff like that all the time....it usually is well worth interacting with the engineers as they are as geeked up about vehicles as we are....you will learn something or get something from that.

Kind of surprising they want it for that long though.....usually emissions takes only a few minutes on the dyno.

Anyway, no way it's going to be a ripoff with them giving you a new vehicle to ride in and you dropping yours off inside Milford.

Very cool...do it!!!!

Old 09-14-2012, 04:17 PM

sounds too good to be true. I think it could be a scam.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by roadwarrior
I am a former GM Exec and Milford does stuff like that all the time....it usually is well worth interacting with the engineers as they are as geeked up about vehicles as we are....you will learn something or get something from that.

Kind of surprising they want it for that long though.....usually emissions takes only a few minutes on the dyno.

Anyway, no way it's going to be a ripoff with them giving you a new vehicle to ride in and you dropping yours off inside Milford.

Very cool...do it!!!!
So your saying its not a scam? If not that's pretty awesome.

Quick Reply: Anybody else get a letter from GM?