Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Is that air resonator restrictive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Banned
Default with your senseless comments,,,facts

i simply present facts,and my opinion about them. some people get angry when presented the truth. thats their problem.
fact; 10 hp at 4600 rpm.
fact;most people dont drive there.
fact the difference is hard to notice.

opinion; its a waste of money to get 10 hp at 4600 rpm,its only an ego boost.

ive caught a lot of "made up nonsense" here in my few years here and some get their feelings hurt.
like the guys who insisted that the h3 uses a mix of metric and sae bolts.
like no fuel filter.
like picking up dirt when your tank is low on fuel.
nonsense about wire sizes,
and much more.
its my way of helping unsuspecting guys from being fooled
and theres a lot of stuff i dont bother with,wheels,tires flamed hummers,snorkels,personal stuff. leds,i dont like,,,your choice.

i cant believe 10 hp will ever make a difference passing a guy going 42 mph,in indiana,where there are no hills!! flat as your table.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:57 PM

You guys can argue numbers and charts all day long, but speaking from personal experience, after I installed the AirDoc intake, I noticed an IMMEDIATE change to the performance of my truck. After tracking a couple tanks of gas, I also noticed a 2MPG increase, which is a big deal when you're only getting 13MPG due to mods.

That last part should perk your ears up drtom, since you're always focused on MPG while disparaging everybody's mods. If you're so worried about MPG, then why didn't you trade your truck in for a Prius and live life in the boring lane that you enjoy so much?

You always nitpick stupid **** that you have no personal experience with. "Blah blah blah, I read somewhere on the internet....blah blah blah, in my opinion...blah blah blah, according to these numbers..."

Bottom line: In my personal, real world, experience the AirDoc makes a difference. Don't believe me, don't buy it.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by drtom
i simply present facts,and my opinion about them.

i cant believe 10 hp will ever make a difference passing a guy going 42 mph,in indiana,where there are no hills!! flat as your table.
Long on opinion, short on facts.

Have you ever tried the pass described, first completely stock, then compare the same pass with: #1 an intake? Then with #2 a CAT back exhaust? Then with #3 a PCM tune? Then with #4 an Efan conversion? Then with #5 a Port Polished TB?

BTW I never said where the Geezer from IN was being passed or that I would limit my motor mods to 10 HP?

Stay with me now....

Then compare that OEM equipped pass with an a pass with #1 & #2. Then with with #1 & #3. Then with #1 & 4. Then with #1 & #5.

Now we can move to comparing the OEM pass with #1, #2, & #3. Then #1, #2, & #4. Then #1, #2, & #5.

Now #1, #2, #3, & #4. Then #1, #2, #3, & #5.

Until all combinations have been covered to #1 through #5.

Of course not, passing that same IN schmuck would get dangerous , but that is what Dyno #s are for. Other than that, Dynos are pretty useless except to make sure which combinations work, and that you are going in the correct direction. On a Dyno, no aerodynamics or turbulence come into play.

So without ever having even tried or tested an intake, you go ahead and share with us your opinion about those, and about #2, #3, #4, & #5. I already have an opinion on how valuable yours is, everybody else can form their own.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by H3DONIST
You guys can argue numbers and charts all day long, but speaking from personal experience, after I installed the AirDoc intake, I noticed an IMMEDIATE change to the performance of my truck. After tracking a couple tanks of gas, I also noticed a 2MPG increase, which is a big deal when you're only getting 13MPG due to mods.

That last part should perk your ears up drtom, since you're always focused on MPG while disparaging everybody's mods. If you're so worried about MPG, then why didn't you trade your truck in for a Prius and live life in the boring lane that you enjoy so much?

You always nitpick stupid **** that you have no personal experience with. "Blah blah blah, I read somewhere on the internet....blah blah blah, in my opinion...blah blah blah, according to these numbers..."

Bottom line: In my personal, real world, experience the AirDoc makes a difference. Don't believe me, don't buy it.
No disrespect to your opinion intended, but if what you are claiming is a result of adding the intake by itself, then what I believe is you noticed was an immediate change to the SOUND of your truck.
You anticipated a change based on purchasing an upgrade, the motor sounded louder/more powerful/different on accelration after the installation, and your brain is thus convinced it is better.

Bottom line is not even the most finnicky sport car driver would be able to decern a couple HP difference in the 4000rpm and under powerband in a heavy tank of a vehicle like the H3 powered by an inline 5 cyl motor. And a couple HP is all the intake alone provides at best under 4000rpm.

If I added or took away 2-4 hp to your vehicle with no difference in sound I can promise you you'd never notice it.

Now perhaps standing on it full throttle and not letting off you may be able to tell the 10hp difference as you wind it past 5000 rpm, but even then you are only talk a few percent difference in hp and torque which would be barely noticable.
The marginal increases shown on the graph under 4500rpm would only be noticable in the way the intake sounds.

Now as far as your reported MPG's, if you indeed are getting 2 mpg better with the intake, that is a significant amount that justifies the upgrade in itself.

Last edited by Xlr8n; 05-17-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:58 PM

You're arguing charts and numbers again. I'm not talking about numbers. I'm not talking about charts. I'm saying there was an immediate and noticeable difference once I installed the intake. I'm saying that any decent driver can tell how their vehicle will respond when they push the skinny pedal.

I had been driving my truck for over a year, so I was well familiar with how it acted when I applied pressure to the gas pedal. There is a feedback that you receive through the pedal to your foot, that tells you what your vehicle is doing. The immediate change I experienced after installing the AirDoc was not based on the sound. The sound wasn't that noticeable to me over the sound of my exhaust.

Speaking of exhaust, there is a mod that didn't cause any noticeable difference in the performance of my truck. I installed a Magnaflow cat-back and the only thing it did was make my truck sound better. lol

Last edited by H3DONIST; 05-17-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by H3DONIST
You're arguing charts and numbers again. I'm not talking about numbers. I'm not talking about charts. I'm saying there was an immediate and noticeable difference once I installed the intake. I'm saying that any decent driver can tell how their vehicle will respond when they push the skinny pedal.

I had been driving my truck for over a year, so I was well familiar with how it acted when I applied pressure to the gas pedal. There is a feedback that you receive through the pedal to your foot, that tells you what your vehicle is doing. The immediate change I experienced after installing the AirDoc was not based on the sound. The sound wasn't that noticeable to me over the sound of my exhaust.

Speaking of exhaust, there is a mod that didn't cause any noticeable difference in the performance of my truck. I installed a Magnaflow cat-back and the only thing it did was make my truck sound better. lol
Yes, I judge performance upgrades by simple mathmatical equations based on overall actual percentile increases in torque/power vs. realistic ability to appreciate increases in same.

And just to clarify, I absolutely recognize and appreciate the gains that can be made to most any OEM auto with the addition of mods to the intake, AF delivery, and exhaust systems in unison. But simply opening up only one end or the other of that air-fuel system almost always results in extremely minimal changes in the useable powerband.

I'll respect your opinion on the intake upgrade, however illogical I view it to be.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:55 AM

H3DONIST, there will always be the "on paper" guys and then there are the people who drive, experience and work on their own vehicles and don't require a book or instructions to know when their vehicle is performing better or worse than normal.

I'm with you and will stay in the "don't require a book or instructions" catagory.

P.S. AIRDOC H3 Alpha test vehicle owner here! I know my midrange feels stronger and I get better mileage with all of our Heavily Modified HUMMERs thanks to the AIRDOC!

Old 05-18-2012, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
H3DONIST, there will always be the "on paper" guys and then there are the people who drive, experience and work on their own vehicles and don't require a book or instructions to know when their vehicle is performing better or worse than normal.

I'm with you and will stay in the "don't require a book or instructions" catagory.

P.S. AIRDOC H3 Alpha test vehicle owner here! I know my midrange feels stronger and I get better mileage with all of our Heavily Modified HUMMERs thanks to the AIRDOC!
Interesting thoughts. I would willingly admit I trust accurate and factual data numbers more than just another 'my rig feels stronger' testimony.

While this same argument takes place on nearly every auto enthusiast board on the web, I'm continually suprised that some folks still argue with hard facts even though the data speaks for itself. In this very thread the data has been provided here by a guy with a vested interest in the product. The data he has shown above states that below 4500 rpm, where 99% of the normally used powerband occurs, there is very minimal actual gain in either HP or TQ by the addition of the intake alone. That is fact.

(As a reference test, next time you go somewhere, keep tabs on the tach and see how often you actually run the motor above 4000 rpms where actual gains may take place)

As far as your remarks about the 'number guys', I'd ask that you please don't pre-judge my knowlege or experience on the subject based on a couple forum posts simply to fuel your argument. I'll simply state I have what most would consider a very thorough knowledge of, and significant experience in building, tuning, and maintaining performance vehicles for 30+ years.

I've added air intake systems to many a vehicle over that time frame. When coupled with carb/injector, ignition/cpu, and exhaust mods, they surely provide a very significant gain.
When added by themselves intake systems definately sound good, but almost always only provide gains at very high RPM's.

Last edited by Xlr8n; 05-18-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:06 PM
Banned

with your senseless comments
language i do not use, just facts.
btw,i notice that in od with torq conv lock,2000 rpm=60 mph so 4000 would be 120+-,so 4600 will be in a lower gear,lower mpg,more torq automatically.10 hp gets lost or just not needed.
and im not chasing mpg,its just a figure everyone talks about routinely.

working on my own!!!?, that would fill a lot of space on another forum,been there did that still do. i talked once about the ONE time i paid for a service job,pretty rare.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by drtom
language i do not use, just facts.
btw,i notice that in od with torq conv lock,2000 rpm=60 mph so 4000 would be 120+-,so 4600 will be in a lower gear,lower mpg,more torq automatically.10 hp gets lost or just not needed.
and im not chasing mpg,its just a figure everyone talks about routinely.

working on my own!!!?, that would fill a lot of space on another forum,been there did that still do. i talked once about the ONE time i paid for a service job,pretty rare.
Uhhyeaahh.....drtom, actually the RPM's per MPH calculation doesn't quite work along your mathematic formula ....but anyway, perhaps you've noticed that in either a manual or automatic vehicle the rpm's increase throughout each gear before it shifts, not just at top speed.

In simpler terms you'll ordinarily encounter higher RPM's in first and second gear right before the shift than you will at cruising speed.

I'd like to believe you already know this much...

Quick Reply: Is that air resonator restrictive?