Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

2007 hummer h3 crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 03:22 PM
Default 2007 hummer h3 crank no start

So I had an issue where one day I got in my hummer drove up the road, parked the h3 for about 30 minutes, got back in and it wouldn't start or even try to crank. I had a friend scan it and it was throwing camshaft codes for both camshaft sensors so I replaced those and still nothing, replaced the starter, replaced the battery connectors and still not even a crank. Then I decided to try replacing the crankshaft sensor and finally it started cranking but still won't start. The battery is only a couple months old and I've been using it in my f350 while my hummer is down so I know the battery is perfectly fine. I won't have access to a scanner till Monday but I'm trying to see if anyone has had this happen to them. Also pass lock isn't flashing so I don't think that's the issue. I'll update Monday with the codes when I scan it

Old 04-21-2022, 08:29 AM

I purchased mine from a friend that wasn't super mechanical, He had let it sit for about 8 months, had hard starting, He replaced the Battery thinking that was the issue, Yet after I got it home I still had an issue similar to yours, mine was very hard starting, took a lot of cranking, code was saying Camshaft sensor, I replaced both with the cheapest I could find, thinking if that solved the Hard starting issue, I'd buy the more expensive AC Delco's, well, it didn't fix it so at that point I'm scratching my head wondering is it a Starter, Alternator, Timing Chain WTH?

I just happened to be watching a YouTube video on a mechanic replacing a Crankshaft sensor, He casually mentioned the number of Bad Parts they have to send back that are Brand New, a light bulb went off, I still had my Old Crudy looking camshaft sensors, I figure what do I have to lose, some Brake clean and Steel wool and about 5 minutes of cleaning them and the truck runs like it did the day it drove off the lot, No more hard cranking, it fires right up when I turn the key. Still, someday I may buy those AC Delco's, But for now, it ain't broke so Why fix it? - I had no idea I could get away with cleaning the old sensors, But it worked and I'm glad I didn't throw them away, I did throw the cheap replacement away.

Keep at it, You'll figure it out.

Old 04-21-2022, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by TJB63
I purchased mine from a friend that wasn't super mechanical, He had let it sit for about 8 months, had hard starting, He replaced the Battery thinking that was the issue, Yet after I got it home I still had an issue similar to yours, mine was very hard starting, took a lot of cranking, code was saying Camshaft sensor, I replaced both with the cheapest I could find, thinking if that solved the Hard starting issue, I'd buy the more expensive AC Delco's, well, it didn't fix it so at that point I'm scratching my head wondering is it a Starter, Alternator, Timing Chain WTH?

I just happened to be watching a YouTube video on a mechanic replacing a Crankshaft sensor, He casually mentioned the number of Bad Parts they have to send back that are Brand New, a light bulb went off, I still had my Old Crudy looking camshaft sensors, I figure what do I have to lose, some Brake clean and Steel wool and about 5 minutes of cleaning them and the truck runs like it did the day it drove off the lot, No more hard cranking, it fires right up when I turn the key. Still, someday I may buy those AC Delco's, But for now, it ain't broke so Why fix it? - I had no idea I could get away with cleaning the old sensors, But it worked and I'm glad I didn't throw them away, I did throw the cheap replacement away.

Keep at it, You'll figure it out.
I'm glad you said that, I haven't been able to get ahold of a scanner yet but I did replace the old camshaft sensors but i dont remember what brand, which i think I might still have the old sensors so I'll try swapping them and see if that'll fix it. Thanks for the input, gives me hope to finally get it running

Old 04-21-2022, 09:23 AM

I hope it's as simple for you, My Old Sensors were really rough looking with what appeared to be burnt oil of some kind shellacked onto the sensor itself.
I guess at this point, it's worth a shot, Code readers are fairly cheap these days if you're just looking to get the code and maybe clear it, if you want something with advanced features, it'll run a few hundred, beats being at the mercy of friends.

I went Cheap with my sensors just cause I wanted to get it inspected and on the road and didn't want to start throwing expensive parts at it after just putting New Tires/Tire Sensors and a Computer on it, The Initial code I got said the Computer (PCM) was bad, So I replaced it, bought a scanner that was capable of a Crankshaft Relearn and still had hard starting that was then saying camshaft sensors, at that point I felt like I was chasing ghosts, so thus the "Cheap" route first. - I'd like to think the Old PCM is probably still good, But I'll just hang onto it for a spare, I think the replacement cost around $250, plus another $300 something for the scanner, tires, tpms sensors and I was up $1500 just getting it ready for inspection and that was me doing all the work.

So I'm hoping it just takes a few minutes of your time cleaning the old sensors and you get lucky like I did. I rarely have such luck, I have an Old Saturn Vue I've been trying to track down a misfire for a couple years now with no luck and kind of gave up for the time being, that one I did throw a lot of parts at, but no luck.

Last edited by TJB63; 04-21-2022 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:29 PM
Old 04-22-2022, 08:24 PM

I hope it's as simple for you, My Old Sensors were really rough looking with what appeared to be burnt oil of some kind shellacked onto the sensor itself.
I guess at this point, it's worth a shot, Code readers are fairly cheap these days if you're just looking to get the code and maybe clear it, if you want something with advanced features, it'll run a few hundred, beats being at the mercy of friends.

I went Cheap with my sensors just cause I wanted to get it inspected and on the road and didn't want to start throwing expensive parts at it after just putting New Tires/Tire Sensors and a Computer on it, The Initial code I got said the Computer (PCM) was bad, So I replaced it, bought a scanner that was capable of a Crankshaft Relearn and still had hard starting that was then saying camshaft sensors, at that point I felt like I was chasing ghosts, so thus the "Cheap" route first. - I'd like to think the Old PCM is probably still good, But I'll just hang onto it for a spare, I think the replacement cost around $250, plus another $300 something for the scanner, tires, tpms sensors and I was up $1500 just getting it ready for inspection and that was me doing all the work.

So I'm hoping it just takes a few minutes of your time cleaning the old sensors and you get lucky like I did. I rarely have such luck, I have an Old Saturn Vue I've been trying to track down a misfire for a couple years now with no luck and kind of gave up for the time being, that one I did throw a lot of parts at, but no luck.
I swapped the sensors back and sure enough started right up but now it's making a weird rattling noise so onto more parts fixing

Old 04-22-2022, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Also ive tried searching for my problem, along with friend of mine who works on cars, and the only thing to come up was people with passlock problems, starter problems, and battery terminal problems so I burned through money from using the search function that's why I made a post and sure enough got lucky with someone who had the same problem. I also don't remember asking for a useless comment 🤔 if I did can you use the search function to find it and send it to me? I'll be sure to edit out when you do🙂

Old 04-26-2022, 08:20 AM

Agreed, I seldom have luck using Search Features on any forum, you end up getting a whole lot of what you didn't ask for and on the remote chance, you find something topic related it either is never resolved or just people jumping in telling the OP to use the search feature. The idea of these forums is to help people so if the search feature is going to be relevant, admins need to figure out how to only have resolved issues appear in the search. <rant off>

Back on topic, I hope you resolved this issue by now, it can be frustrating, at least it's firing up, and hopefully, the rattle will reveal itself and isn't a serious problem.

Old 04-26-2022, 10:39 AM

Agreed, I seldom have luck using Search Features on any forum, you end up getting a whole lot of what you didn't ask for and on the remote chance, you find something topic related it either is never resolved or just people jumping in telling the OP to use the search feature. The idea of these forums is to help people so if the search feature is going to be relevant, admins need to figure out how to only have resolved issues appear in the search. <rant off>

Back on topic, I hope you resolved this issue by now, it can be frustrating, at least it's firing up, and hopefully, the rattle will reveal itself and isn't a serious problem.
I agree whole heartedly, you also can't comment on an old post here either to try to get any information instead of starting a new one. Theirs some very conflicting problems within this forum, when you post about needing help you can usually count on about 2 people to comment complaining and adding nothing to the question asked and usually that's the end of the thread but sometimes you can get lucky and get some helpful input like I did. But yes, i'm glad it's running now, I think the rattling might be one of the pulleys or from the ac compressor, I know the compressor itself is blown so maybe the clutch ended up going out as well and just started rattling. I haven't had much time to dig further into it yet but I'll update when I get a chance to maybe help someone else down the line

Old 04-26-2022, 11:20 AM

Glad to hear it is up and running.

I have seen some pretty snarky replies to people asking for help here and also on other Forums and often wonder how many New people were chased away from a Great Community just because instead of helping, someone feels the need to make the OP look like a dumbass, It should be a Community of people helping each other instead of someone looking for help only to be berated for not spending weeks going through old posts when chances are they need help quickly. If they were helpful, they'd suggest you try searching for???? Instead of just acting all mighty and ignoring the question because in their opinion you shouldn't be asking questions because that's what the search feature is for. I have news for them, not everyone is good at searching, I freely admit I'm one of them and News Flash, Search features within Forums SUCK, as you correctly pointed out, you get everything except what you are searching on.

Maybe the Admins can put a Block feature in place so those that feel the need to bash rather than help can be blocked and nobody has to see their non-helpful advice. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: 2007 hummer h3 crank no start