Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

2007 H3x cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 03:51 AM
Question 2007 H3x cranks but won't start

Hello everyone , I'm a long time reader , new member , I own 2007 h3x for the past five years with 51000m , today for the first time , on Park the car cranks but engine would not start !!!!!! after so Meany failing trails, moved the shifter to neutral and the car starts right up ! now the car starts normally and runs as great as before , no woning lights on the DIC , called ONSTAR and ran diagnostic report on the car , it came all OK free of any errors or codes ! could it be a the spark plugs !? or even the neutral safety switch ? or it is just a glitch !
any idea if this is something That I need to worry about to prevent future problems ???? Thank you in advance

Last edited by khaled; 04-25-2015 at 06:38 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:10 PM

Hey Khaled,

I had been having a similar problem with my 2006 H3. It turned out to be something having to do with the "Passlock" system.

If I closed the truck up and locked it and waited 10 minutes, the Passlock system would reset itself and the truck would start right up. This was the instruction in the owners manual. If it is the same problem, you should see a red indicator flashing on your instrument cluster below the speedo. It is a car with a padlock over it. If it is flashing, take your key out of the ignition, lock the truck as if you were walking away, and sit there for no less than ten minutes. After ten minutes try to start er up again.

Let me know how you make out.

Soz

Old 01-03-2012, 12:50 AM

Hi mls 100771
Thank you for the info ,it turns out to be the " Passlock" as you suggested for sure as the car is not acting up anymore .

Old 01-08-2012, 12:22 PM

For anyone having this problem you have 3 options:

1: Live with it. It will no doubt happen at the worst time.... Not a good option.

2: Replace the passlock sensor... most likely will have to be done by a dealer. I have heard quotes in the $500 - $700 range.

3. Install a passlock data bypass kit. This way you never have to worry about the passlock going bad again. Only drawback on this option is it would be easier for someone to steal your hummer.... If they are going to steal it, they are going to steal it.....

Here is the cheapest passlock bypass kit I have found:

Amazon.com: Crimestopper PASSLOCK-SL-H3 Passlock Data Bypass Kit for Hummer H3: Automotive

Hope that helps.

Shane

Old 01-09-2012, 05:29 AM

Thank you Shane , car runs great so far !

Old 04-24-2015, 06:47 PM

Guys, my 06 H3 wont start wont crank but if i try to start it the passlock logo disappear. I tried resetting it in "learn" mode which takes about 30 mins. If i pull out the battery for 1 mins then put it back on, it will crank but not start, then no crack following after that. I also have the reading "reduced power" and "traction stabilization failure". Ive search all over the internet of what may have caused this, My 1st attemp is start up with swapping my relays and changing my battery terminals, but no luck. Is there anyone who lead me to the right puzzle, cuz i am baffled and confused, dont know what else to do and im on the tight budget cant afford go to mechanics. I also bought me an ignition (AC Delco D1462G) switch which is my 2nd attemp and i hope this solve the situation.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:54 AM

I ended up buying HPTuner to deactivate passlock (which is what this sounds like) If you located near me I would come help you out...

Old 04-28-2015, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by tolits
Guys, my 06 H3 wont start wont crank but if i try to start it the passlock logo disappear. I tried resetting it in "learn" mode which takes about 30 mins. If i pull out the battery for 1 mins then put it back on, it will crank but not start, then no crack following after that. I also have the reading "reduced power" and "traction stabilization failure". Ive search all over the internet of what may have caused this, My 1st attemp is start up with swapping my relays and changing my battery terminals, but no luck. Is there anyone who lead me to the right puzzle, cuz i am baffled and confused, dont know what else to do and im on the tight budget cant afford go to mechanics. I also bought me an ignition (AC Delco D1462G) switch which is my 2nd attemp and i hope this solve the situation.

Given all of your other simultaneous warnings it sounds like you might have a bad/faulty/intermittent BCM. The starting process involves the following:

1. Key in the ignition (ignition key resistor signal to BCM)
2. In 'Start' position the BCM receives a signal (BCM checks passlock status)
3. The BCM enables the run/crank relay (#78)
4. The PNP switch+PCM enables relay (#77)
5. Finally the starter solenoid gets powered ON

Did your issue happen overnight? Or did it slowly progress into this?

Old 05-03-2015, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by alpine001
Given all of your other simultaneous warnings it sounds like you might have a bad/faulty/intermittent BCM. The starting process involves the following:

1. Key in the ignition (ignition key resistor signal to BCM)
2. In 'Start' position the BCM receives a signal (BCM checks passlock status)
3. The BCM enables the run/crank relay (#78)
4. The PNP switch+PCM enables relay (#77)
5. Finally the starter solenoid gets powered ON

Did your issue happen overnight? Or did it slowly progress into this?
Ok..i have the puzzle after a week. I re scanned again with obd then all those mention above im having has nothing to do except the throttle actuator control. So i went back to basic with is fuel, spark, and air. Fuel pump is working because it squirts in the line, then it doesnt crank because it triggers the anti theft when theres no air going through the throttle. I took out the whole throttle chasis, clean them and notice that the metal plate is not moving at all even with extreme force. Then i had my bro starts it while i tapped the upper portion of the plate, then eventually it coughs up and gargled put everything back then it starts normally again, the only issue i have now is when i turned my keys to on before starts it make a "quack" sound exactly like the duck..😀😃😄. But it wouldnt bother me as long as i dont get stuck. Thanks for all the looks out there.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:09 AM

Oh and for the record..i installed the new switch ignition with the sensor without even doing "learn" my H3 just accept it without the process. Really easy to install.����

Quick Reply: 2007 H3x cranks but won't start