Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

2007 H3 Base - Monroe Reflex Shocks Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 06:24 PM
Thumbs up 2007 H3 Base - Monroe Reflex Shocks Review

Just wanted to throw in my $0.02 on these shocks in case anyone (whether right now, or 20 years from now) decides to look into these as a potential replacement for their H3.

Background: 2007 H3 Base, 35" tires, 5-Speed. I purchased this vehicle not even two months ago, and while the ride quality wasn't terrible, I felt it could be improved on. After looking underneath the vehicle, it didn't take me long to figure out why, as the OEM shocks were so badly worn down and rusty, that the plastic casings on the shocks were actually cracking, breaking free, and falling to the bottom of the shock. Furthermore, the heads on the upper bolts on the rear shocks were actually broken off, and required the use of a torch to break the bolts free due to the corrosion. With all this in mind, I am assuming that the OEM shocks had never been changed in the entire life of the vehicle, greatly contributing to the mediocre ride quality.

My original plan was to purchase Bilstein 4600 series shocks for the H3, however I was unable to acquire the rear shocks until Mid-Late April 2024 (at the earliest), as many suppliers online were out of stock around this time, and I did not want to mix/match the front and rear shocks (nor did I want to wait until April for the rear-Bilsteins to arrive). On a budget, I ultmately pulled the trigger on the Monroe Reflexes; the price was very affordable, and the ride quality seemed to be about on-par/slightly better than the H3 Base model shocks.

Due to a fairly busy time in my life, and not having the tools necessary to remove the stubborn rusty rear shock bolts, I ultimately paid a shop to install them; other than the rear shock upper bolts giving them some attitude, the shop reported no other issues, and installation seemed fairly straight forward.

Results: Let me preface this with, I have never tried Bilstein 4600, 5100, OME Nitrocharger, Rancho, Fox, etc. shocks on my vehicle, so I cannot directly compare the Reflexes to any of them. However after having the Reflexes installed in my vehicle and having driven them around a bit, I'd say they're.....pretty decent to say the least. They are certainly more firm than the factory shocks I was running, however the car no longer leans like it did before, whether side-to-side when going around a sharp turn, or leaning forward when braking. As far as actual ride comfort, there is little difference (from OEM) when going over fairly large bumps such as a speed hump (although I would still say its a hair smoother) however it is all the small little divots, rough patches of road, etc. when going 50-60+ mph that ultimately made me really appreciate these shocks. Where the OEM shocks would produce small jittery noises/bumps when going over rough patches of road, with the Reflexes I hardly notice any of them, and the ride is ultimately much, much smoother than before.

I do not have many miles on these at the moment, so I obviously can't speak to their long term reliability, however I will update this post if any major issues occur within the first ~10k miles of driving.

Bottom Line: If you're in the market for a new set of shocks for your base model H3, and are on a budget, the Monroe Reflexes are a fairly decent option, and gave my H3 a much needed improvement to the ride quality.

Let me know if you have any questions, and thanks for reading!

Front Shock Part # - 911527
Rear Shock Part # - 911528

Old 03-28-2024, 08:07 PM

12yrs ago, I pulled the oem shocks on my '07 and installed the reflex 527's & 528's, still comfortable quality ride control! Highly recommended!

Old 03-29-2024, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

When I bought my 09 Alpha Off Road in Jan. 2019 the Monroe Reflex Shocks were on it. I have no idea how long/when the prior owner installed them. They looked pretty clean, no signs of any leak, but....... They rode like chit, just like a friggin dump truck. Just sayin.

My 07 had the factory Adventure package shocks and in the overlap when I had both, the ride was much better in the 07.

After the 07 was sold in April, I immediately got rid of those Monroes and replaced with Old Man Emu NitroCharger Sport. Made a HUGE improvement. I appreciate the OP's observation that the Monroe shocks are budget friendly and comparing OMEs which are not in the budget for many does not do the Apples to Apples thing.

Just my perspective. Thank you for taking the time for your review.

Old 03-31-2024, 01:14 PM

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Also opinions are like ( well you know).

Performance without measure is without data.

Much respect for Doc and other super guru's here. However, what ever happend to AIR SHOCKS?