Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

2006 H3 A/C Compressor runs but does not cycle on/off

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 07:53 PM
Question 2006 H3 A/C Compressor runs but does not cycle on/off

We have noticed over the past few days that the A/C in our 06 H3 is cold, but not as cold as normal (typically freezes us out!!) Outside temps are in the low 90's, we have had to run the fan at 3 and keep the max/recirc on just to keep it comfortable. Here is where I noticed a difference. I am the original owner w/97k on the truck and I have done all of my own maintenance and repairs to date. When the A/C is turned on you can hear the A/C clutch engage and the compressor can be heard running, the difference now is that the compressor does not cycle on and off, it just stays on. Previously, inside the vehicle with the A/C on, there has always been a noticeable pressure build and relief sound (we call it the H3 breathing)...currently, this "breathing" cannot be heard when the compressor keeps running (no cycling). As mentioned above, we are getting cool air, just not as cold as normal. I am thinking there is an expansion valve issue....cannot find any solid info to confirm.

Any thoughts?

Old 06-18-2014, 06:57 PM
Default Help!!

Okay...I have been anxiously awaiting a reply with some guidance regarding this AC issue. Need some help here.....it is hot outside!!

Old 06-19-2014, 06:47 PM
Default Simple fix!!!

After taking some time to think this through and consider some other symptoms I have been noticing (higher than normal engine temp on hot days and under extended load) I decided to start with easiest low risk fix. I replaced the original serpentine belt (97k on it) with a high quality Gates belt ($35 at O'Reilly"s) and all is back to normal.

Hope this helps someone else one day.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:23 PM

I had an expansion valve issue and the symptoms were cool, not cold, air coming from the vents on some days, freezing cold air on others. Immediately after A/C service, there would be warm (room temp) air coming from the vents. I assumed expansion valve was sticking. I replaced and so far, so good.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:28 PM
Default A/C Issue Follow-up

Took the H3 to a recommended private mechanic that uses a GM Tech II and high end Robinair A/C tester/unit.

After running all diagnostics on the GM Tech II unit concurrently with the use of the Robinair unit, all checked out just fine. The gentlemen is in his late 60's and worked as an aviation mechanic (avionics and systems) as well as has completed numerous GM/ASE training courses....very knowledgeable. He was very helpful and shared a lot of good info with me. I am a believer that this is a key way to learn, getting your hands dirty and listening to those with experience

Moving on to the 100k maintenance requirements.