Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

06 Hummer H3...typical No crank, No Start.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2021, 05:16 PM
Default 06 Hummer H3...typical No crank, No Start.

Good evening all!

I figured instead of always reading the posts I should make an account and post lol(S/o to you guys you've helped me and my hummer ALOT!)

firstly i have a 2006 hummer h3 I5 automatic. She has about 219k miles on her soul(had her since 160k dealer said it had a new motor but I dont believe them)! But she usually runs like a goddess when maintained properly.
Anyways I was driving my H3 and stopped at turning light. Suddenly she started rumbling like misfire. Figured it was that time and I'd handle it when I get home(only lived 5 miles from that point). I cruised down a hill and went to accelerate and she didnt have ANY power...nor could I turn the steering wheel(was extremely hard) and the check engine light was going crazy! so I quickly turned down a street and parked her. My first instinct was the wrong one. I dealt with something very similar to this and figured I'd quickly check all connections, throttlebody, and unplug the battery and give it a few minutes..no dice(should have checked the codes first!). I got her towed home and I did this.
  • replace the throttlebody.(had a spare that I know worked since I took it off to put on a ported)
  • replaced the pedal.(had a good spare at the house...this has happened before lol)
  • switched relays around
  • Checked the battery. It's fine its pulling 12v.
  • Tried to jump it(no dice)
here's what I know.
  • it wont crank or start or anything.
  • I replaced the ignition switch about a year ago ( the passlock hasn't given me in problems. It's not lighting up or anything like that.)
  • When the hazards are on the lights get dim
  • I never replaced my altenator or starter
she was driving fine and i even took her on a 5hour trip to florida and back and she performed like a champ..any advice would be greatly appreciated and if you need more info let me know! Thanks guys!

Old 10-24-2021, 06:30 PM

Old 10-25-2021, 08:34 AM

I had a similar problem on my 06 H3 except the code reader was giving me a PCM code, Sorry, I can't remember the code. Anyhow, ordered a "NEW" programmed PCM from a company in NJ , cured my problem, however that triggered a Crankshaft Position Relearn that I needed to deal with.
Without knowing your codes, it could be anything from Bad Fuel to Dead Battery. Good Luck.

Old 10-25-2021, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome.

Perhaps you glossed over this a bit............ but a 12V battery at only 12.0 Volts is DISCHARGED! You need to see 12.6+ volts resting to be fully charged and ready to start. How old is the battery????? Put it on a charger.

Are you still using the Crappy Azzed OEM Battery Terminal Connectors??? If so, hack those off and replace with a quality aftermarket set like Stingers or your favorite brand.

When you tried to jump start, what did it do? Turn over or nothing?

Old 11-02-2021, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Welcome.

Perhaps you glossed over this a bit............ but a 12V battery at only 12.0 Volts is DISCHARGED! You need to see 12.6+ volts resting to be fully charged and ready to start. How old is the battery????? Put it on a charger.

Are you still using the Crappy Azzed OEM Battery Terminal Connectors??? If so, hack those off and replace with a quality aftermarket set like Stingers or your favorite brand.

When you tried to jump start, what did it do? Turn over or nothing?
^^^^
This is a great place to start...
The H3 2006 is a reliable vehicle. Did you receive any documentation to support the sellers claim of a replaced engine?
You may also want to do some searching here for good information on issues.
Good luck!

Old 11-23-2021, 11:46 AM
Default Figured it out!!

Hey all! I first want to thank you guys for responding to my post and giving me tips!
Okay, so i figured out the problem.
short story for anyone looking for an answer like i was..(the solution for me)it was a blown fuss(33) and an ignition coil that wouldnt even let me attempt to start it up.
I unplugged them one by one and boom it started so then i back tracked until i found the one that kept blowing the fuse( will need extra fuses if you try this way).

For the long version.
So reminder i am a pretty good amateur mechanic but by no means do i know any and everything..im still a noob.
My first instinct was the altenator BUT firstly it was recommended by @Doc Olds to replace the old crappy OEM terminals with A good aftermarket brand.
this i had already done in the past but i didnt think they were much better. so i purchased some stingerz for 40 bucks ( i just HATE the Hex bolt you have to use with it!!!! any recommends for better stingerz or another good brand?)
After purchasing the stingerz i took my battery (its a oriellys brand that was under warrenty) and got it replaced( it was bad). I placed it back in the truck with the new Terminals..(irrelevant part)

backwards...you can guess what happened next.. a bunch of pops(couldnt hear them) and the windshield wipers were on for no reason. ive never installed a battery in backwards..so i had no clue that the fuses(INCLUDING THE MEGA FUSE) needed replacing. anyways i switched the battery around and it didnt start not even a click(duh) jump starting did absolutely nothing.

So i purchased a new altenator and starter( never replaced them ever) as im a big believer in preventative maintence.
installed them.. it didnt even click. I was lost..i was upset..then i got rededicated to my wonderful truck and i took things out and checked EVERYTHING!!
I originally replaced the starter throught the wheel well, this time i took the intake manifold out( never did that before)

Side note: some B**** broke a manifold bolt off in my engine!!!

Anyways i checked for frayed wires untightened bolts and cleaned up everything(literally cleaned the enginebay) and still nothing.then i checked the fuse box and seen my mess..i went through every fuse and documented what was needed and where for future reference so i dont have to look at the little wording on the cover.
after raplacing al the fuses..NOTHING happened..so before giving up and getting towed to some ......mechanic and allowing him to desecrate Catherin..i decided to research even more..i searched every forum i could for a hint of an issue and thats when i found it!! a solution i didnt think of.. the ignition coils could go bad and pop the starter fuse! i had a bunch of fuses so instead of using the multimeter method i decided to one by one..unhook a coil and replace a fuse and I FOUND the bad coil!! after unplugging and replacing the fuse she started right up!!..then another problem..the truch started but didnt charge long stroy short i had to replace the mega fuse after my foolish mistake.

anyways shes good to go now! ive only driven her once and i need to drive her for a while to charge up that battery(was being drained constantly from being started and the altenator not charging it) thank you so much for your help guys!

Old 11-23-2021, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Before you go hating on Stingers, you might want to consider the education you are giving yourself in this journey about your bad battery etc..... Look out there on the web how many guys are using Stingers for connections to multiple batteries and high powered amps in the sound system competition arena. I just use mine on more than one H3 with winch set ups for over a decade, zero issues.

BTW, driving your vehicle does NOT charge the battery unless you jump on the interstate for about 4+ hours non stop. Get a battery charger and use that. I have many (Deltran Battery Tenders), single and multiple battery units for all the stuff with batteries that need to be maintained.

Thanks for the follow up and good luck.

Side note, somebody moderated your post as spam because you mentioned a brand name, whoever that was............. I call BS and approved it.