Hummer H2 SUT For some who need the usefulness of a truck, but do not want to compromise the Hummer look, the H2 SUT does just that.

How can my acceleration be more brisky

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2024, 09:40 AM
Default How can my acceleration be more brisky

Hello I have a 05 hummer h2 SUT , but I want it to accelerate more aggressively I wanted to do a DOD delete and a low rpm cam and a cold air intake and a good lil tune and maybe try to do a conversion to e85 but I’m not sure if this stock 6.0 would handle all of that any suggestion and advice is greatly appreciated

Old 07-14-2024, 04:47 PM

i do not believe the 6.0 has DOD.
DOD was introduced on the 6.2
many people use the 6.0 as donor engines in their projects and use the Holly terminator systems. you don't have to purchase unlocking or tuning credits like the other programmers that use stock ecu. and the holly system self tunes /learns.
but idk how that would work being incorporated into an H2.

Old 07-15-2024, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

There is no problem with those mods to a stock 6.0, I already did all that and more to my H3 Alpha 5.3L. The Transmission is going to need some attention.

Old 07-16-2024, 08:11 PM

Guaranteed, as bronxteck has mentioned no H2 has ever had DOD, the L92 in the 08/09 was designed to use DOD and had the casting for it are in the block to implement it but GM decided to leave out the parts to actually make it work

A replacement camshaft with an upgraded intake using L92 or LS3 heads will help but might not give you what your looking for.

An easy (less work, but costly) way to put some zip in your H2 is to install an Magnuson supercharger. The 6.0L has a bulletproof bottom end that lends itself well for supercharging, Many hotrod and LS gear heads say the bottom end of the LQ4 can easily produce 600HP some even say much more.

As Doc has mentioned, you will need to do some work to the 4l60/65 trans that with the extra HP and Torque will let you down in the stock form. Gavin on this forum has an 08 with the Magnuson supercharger, its a beast for sure!

If you can work a tune with E85 and this combination and you will have a street monster that will be cheap to drive considering the E85 is less expensive. A fun project for sure!

Last edited by H2-SUT; 07-17-2024 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-13-2024, 06:22 PM

New spicer u joints will increase acceleration, new delphi fuel pump will give you boost too. I have studied a good bit if our 4l65e transmissions ( I rebuilt mine) , I would stay away from camshaft upgrades, trans would fail within next 10,000 miles. Read bunch of people on ls1 boards talking about cam upgrades then trans going.

Old 08-15-2024, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Am LS1 is not in an H2 and the cam the OP was talking about would be a low lift Cam for low and mid range, not a high RPM monster HP/TQ Cam. Generalized observations from people that did stupid chit on some other forum to their LS1 powered car or light truck really do not have much application to a heavy off road vehicle and the mods the OP framed. It depends on what miles the platform is at when the Cam was done, what Cam was put in, how well they maintained their Trans before and after their mods, if the Trans was rebuilt before the cam, and if they drove like a fool after. I've cam swapped stuff that went stuff that went 50K+/- miles without rebuilding the Trans.

I do agree that the Trans will need attention, might be sooner than later depending upon its condition when the Cam is done. I have an acquaintance that Magna Charged his H2 on 40s then rebuilt the Trans three times after, but that is a different boost than a low lift Cam. Put a pun in there.