Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Yup- another suspension thread...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by liveinxs
Not true, you do not need a air hammer, it helps, but it is not needed, maybe if you don't know how to work on vehicles, then it would be helpful...

I used a plain old pickle fork...
You always get personal...
I guess the shop I took it to also don't know how to work on vehicles either.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Synthetickiller
You always get personal...
I guess the shop I took it to also don't know how to work on vehicles either.
Its not personal, its making sure people get the correct info, end of story...

Old 07-13-2015, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Crawdaddyjc
Ya'll say its DIY- but i dunno. Never done anything like this and i would hate to get in over my head and mess something up.
Any vehicle forum anywhere will have people telling you to do it yourself. Save money, do it right, you need to know how to fix stuff if you find yourself broke down with only you to fix it... Don't let it get to you, if you don't feel comfortable and don't have a knowledgeable friend to help then take it to a shop. I used to do most of my own wrenching and one day after changing a water pump in the dark trying to make it to a wheeling trip in the morning I decided I HATE working on cars. I let shops rip me off changing brake pads which is what, every 30-60k miles? I'm going to get new shocks put on my H2 and the rear of one of my cars in the near future - I'll be happy to pay for them to do the work while I sit relaxing in the waiting room then be good for another 100k miles. Oil change? Ya, let them get nasty dirty then deal with recycling the fluids 'cause paying $70 for a full synthetic oil change is worth it, I don't do that anymore either.

IMHO, valid reasons for doing this yourself include: You can't afford to pay someone to do it. You enjoy this kind of stuff. You really know what you are doing and don't trust a professional shop.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by skeptic
Any vehicle forum anywhere will have people telling you to do it yourself. Save money, do it right, you need to know how to fix stuff if you find yourself broke down with only you to fix it... Don't let it get to you, if you don't feel comfortable and don't have a knowledgeable friend to help then take it to a shop. I used to do most of my own wrenching and one day after changing a water pump in the dark trying to make it to a wheeling trip in the morning I decided I HATE working on cars. I let shops rip me off changing brake pads which is what, every 30-60k miles? I'm going to get new shocks put on my H2 and the rear of one of my cars in the near future - I'll be happy to pay for them to do the work while I sit relaxing in the waiting room then be good for another 100k miles. Oil change? Ya, let them get nasty dirty then deal with recycling the fluids 'cause paying $70 for a full synthetic oil change is worth it, I don't do that anymore either.

IMHO, valid reasons for doing this yourself include: You can't afford to pay someone to do it. You enjoy this kind of stuff. You really know what you are doing and don't trust a professional shop.
You forgot the most important reason, for doing it yourself, its called pride...

I like doing my own mods/repairs, i get a sense of accomplishment, plus i know its done right, i know its not getting done by someone, whose only concern, is their bottom line, sucking every penny from you that they can...

Plus, the way i look at it is, i take on the job, if i feel , i am lost, and don't know what i am doing, (never happens), then I can easily have some shop finish the job, and have the pleasure of ripping me off...

Old 07-13-2015, 10:47 PM

I'd lump pride in with enjoying doing the work yourself, but if you want it to be a separate item on the list then ok with me. I used to enjoy wrenching on my vehicles, but now all I want is the work to be done and I'd rather pay than do it myself.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by skeptic
I'd lump pride in with enjoying doing the work yourself, but if you want it to be a separate item on the list then ok with me. I used to enjoy wrenching on my vehicles, but now all I want is the work to be done and I'd rather pay than do it myself.
Don't really care, whats ok with you...

Buts its "ok with me", if you have to hire people to do work, that you don't know how to do...

Old 07-14-2015, 06:45 AM

I plan on stopping at a local shop to talk to them and i am going to ask them if i bring my parts if they would be willing to let me assist in the replacement. Maybe afterhours or when they are normally closed. They will most likely say no due to insurance or whatever but you never know unless you ask. At least that way i could do the work while having someone who knows what they are doing. Maybe then labor cost would be lower or ar least if i ever had to redo the work- i would know what im doing. I dont care to pay someone to do what i dont know how to- or dont want to do. I dont work on my goldwing. Fluids and plugs are as far as i will go. Pretty much same for vehicles.
But once im shown something- i have no issues doing it in the future.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Crawdaddyjc
I plan on stopping at a local shop to talk to them and i am going to ask them if i bring my parts if they would be willing to let me assist in the replacement. Maybe afterhours or when they are normally closed. They will most likely say no due to insurance or whatever but you never know unless you ask. At least that way i could do the work while having someone who knows what they are doing. Maybe then labor cost would be lower or ar least if i ever had to redo the work- i would know what im doing. I dont care to pay someone to do what i dont know how to- or dont want to do. I dont work on my goldwing. Fluids and plugs are as far as i will go. Pretty much same for vehicles.
But once im shown something- i have no issues doing it in the future.
I tell you one thing, they will not warranty the parts, since you didn't get them from them, if they fail, you will be on your own....

It is so simple, don't let lazy *** people , put fear into you, mechanics were not born knowing how to fix vehicles, they learned, and the best way to learn is doing it..

I suggest you go on sites like youtube, and watch as many videos about what you want to do, then compare it to whatever , you can read..

You will save a fortune doing it yourself, and the more you do, the more confident you will become

Old 07-14-2015, 08:55 AM

I have an 03 with 90,000 and even though the tire shop didn't recommend it... I have noticed quite an improvement in ride quality after upgrading the torsion keys and adding Bilstein shocks and Fab-tech tie rods to manage 37inch Coopers. The tie rods even cut the tire hum inside a little. I also get some comfort in knowing I will be less likely to experience a failure during one of my rare off road excursions or feel the need to defend the Hummer honor against my lil brother's "built" 85 Bronco with the recently bent tie rod... just sayin

Old 08-23-2015, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by liveinxs
Don't waste your money having someone install the front end parts, it a total diy in your driveway, then bring it to a shop for a wheel alignment ..

Be aware, some find it hard to remove the steering stabilizer. Lol
I work on all my vehicles most of the time. There are times when I don't have enough time and need/want something done. It is not a waste to pay a competent mechanic to do something I either need someone else to do or just don't have time for. My time is valuable and I evaluate the best way to use it. Sometimes the best use of my time is to drop a vehicle off at a professional's shop.

Quick Reply: Yup- another suspension thread...