Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Yup- another suspension thread...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 10:05 PM
Default Yup- another suspension thread...

Ok- keep in mind i am a noob when it comes to working on vehicles other than plugs, wires, oil, easy stuff like that.
My truck is an 03 just hit 108k. And looking through previous posts has me wanting to get new suspension parts. I have wheels and tires lined up. But figured it would be the perfect time to do it all at once.

So to replace the stock suspension: im looking at:
Upper/ lower control arms, tie rods, steering stabilizer, shocks all around and new brakes and shoes as well as new bump stops. Is there anything that i am missing or dont know about?

Im not looking at lifting or anything crazy. I could possibly go up 1" but i want to keep parking in the garage! Gonna stay with the 315 70 17's
I guess everything in this diagram???

FRONT SUSPENSION 2003 Hummer H2 OEM ? New GM Parts

Thanks for any feedback and guidance!

Old 07-10-2015, 04:54 PM

not sure what your goal is but id have someone inspect it first and replace what is loose or worn as opposed to just replacing random front end parts, if it feels loose or sloppy a good mechanic will tell you why and what it needs, don't replace just to replace

Old 07-10-2015, 09:12 PM

Ok thanks. I dont have any issues other than random rattles. But i figured since i dont plan on ever selling this truck and the fact it has 108k miles and rust underneath that upgrading everything would be ok. Im sure these trucks are pretty much bulletproof and could easily last another 100k so i dont have to make any repairs but just want to make my truck better.
Thanks again

Old 07-11-2015, 12:35 PM

It really depends on use.

I miss my old 03. That thing rode amazingly well down the road. My current one with 112k miles (6k of my own) is not smooth. I'm basically replcaing the entire suspension due to wear. My 03 had over 120k miles & felt like day one, just noisy from the internal plastic creaking.

To my knowledge the OEM shocks that included bump stops are not being made anymore.

I would do one thing. If you're upgrading almost everything, do one part at a time, if possible. That way, if an "upgrade" gives you a ride you feel is a downgrade, you can just swap back instead of playing a guessing game.

You could add both Helwig anti-sway bars. I noticed a huge difference in corning stability & stability on uneven roads.

Do you have a list of the exact parts you're going to buy?

Old 07-13-2015, 07:14 AM

Moog front end parts, Bilstein shocks and a competent front end shop to install and align.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by calif phil
Moog front end parts, Bilstein shocks and a competent front end shop to install and align.

Don't waste your money having someone install the front end parts, it a total diy in your driveway, then bring it to a shop for a wheel alignment ..

Be aware, some find it hard to remove the steering stabilizer. Lol

Old 07-13-2015, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by liveinxs
Don't waste your money having someone install the front end parts, it a total diy in your driveway, then bring it to a shop for a wheel alignment ..

Be aware, some find it hard to remove the steering stabilizer. Lol
I agree w/ the the shock comment. This is something you can do with a jackstand, jack & some time.

The steering stabilizer can a real b*tch. Don't let him fool you.
Any single stabilizer I put on now requires an airhammer to get off. Confirmed by "professionals."

Old 07-13-2015, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by yoymon
not sure what your goal is but id have someone inspect it first and replace what is loose or worn as opposed to just replacing random front end parts, if it feels loose or sloppy a good mechanic will tell you why and what it needs, don't replace just to replace
I couldn't agree more. Unless you are going with a lift or feel the need for stronger parts, only replace the parts that actually need it.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Synthetickiller
I agree w/ the the shock comment. This is something you can do with a jackstand, jack & some time.

The steering stabilizer can a real b*tch. Don't let him fool you.
Any single stabilizer I put on now requires an airhammer to get off. Confirmed by "professionals."

Not true, you do not need a air hammer, it helps, but it is not needed, maybe if you don't know how to work on vehicles, then it would be helpful...

I used a plain old pickle fork...

Old 07-13-2015, 01:49 PM

Yeah i read that thread about the pickle fork and the trouble removing that bolt!

I may swing by a local 4x4 shop near where i live and see if they can check out the truck and make sure everything is good. I know i dont have any issues and steering isnt sloppy, doesnt pull to one side or another and no pops when turning. I just was thinking that since the truck is 12 years old and getting up there in miles it would be a good idea to start investing in parts in case of failure.
Ya'll say its DIY- but i dunno. Never done anything like this and i would hate to get in over my head and mess something up.
Synthetickiller- i dont have a list. More curious at this point.

Quick Reply: Yup- another suspension thread...