Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Wiring for OEM Hummer Off Road lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 05:47 PM
Default Wiring for OEM Hummer Off Road lights

Hello Hummer Forums world!

I am a new owner of a 2003 H2! I found the OEM off road lights from EBay (image here: https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/a...w-img_2696.jpg)

I wanted to know if someone would be able to guide me as to what I need to buy for wiring it and how to "activate it"

1.) What wiring harness would I need to purchase? Ebay or amazon link would be great.

2.) How do I turn on these lights from inside? What switch would I need to purchase?

3.) I have four of the OEM off road lights as seen in the picture. I wanted to mount these to the roof rather than the traditional front grill. Would a roof rail like this work? https://www.ebay.com/itm/381946427906

I hope to share pictures of everything I did with you guys!

Thanks in advance!

syphondog3

Old 05-26-2021, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by syphondog3
Hello Hummer Forums world!

I am a new owner of a 2003 H2! I found the OEM off road lights from EBay (image here: https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/a...w-img_2696.jpg)

I wanted to know if someone would be able to guide me as to what I need to buy for wiring it and how to "activate it"

1.) What wiring harness would I need to purchase? Ebay or amazon link would be great.

2.) How do I turn on these lights from inside? What switch would I need to purchase?

3.) I have four of the OEM off road lights as seen in the picture. I wanted to mount these to the roof rather than the traditional front grill. Would a roof rail like this work? https://www.ebay.com/itm/381946427906

I hope to share pictures of everything I did with you guys!

Thanks in advance!

syphondog3
Image here: Hummer Off Road lights

Old 05-27-2021, 07:50 AM

Typically when these are installed on the roof they are mounted to one of the roof rails and the wiring goes through the upper corner light grommet. The switch is generally installed in the front edge of the ceiling console, wiring goes down the a pillar to a relay hanging on a harness down just above the relay center to the left of the brake pedal and it gets its power from that same relay center. I doubt any of the "factory" harnesses for them are available new. It would be fairly easy to just get an aftermarket lighting harness with a fuse and relay and install it in much the same manner finding power on that same relay block and running wires from a switch to the ceiling console and up and out the corner roof clearance light grommet then into the roof cross bar to the lights. If that is not something you are good at most stereo shops or truck accessory shops could do it for you. If you look around here an online for pictures of the ceiling consoles you can find pictures of the switch location and style switch they use. I'd make sure the switch you get does have the "on" indicator led too so that you can visibly see if they might be on during the daylight.

Old 05-28-2021, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Typically when these are installed on the roof they are mounted to one of the roof rails and the wiring goes through the upper corner light grommet. The switch is generally installed in the front edge of the ceiling console, wiring goes down the a pillar to a relay hanging on a harness down just above the relay center to the left of the brake pedal and it gets its power from that same relay center. I doubt any of the "factory" harnesses for them are available new. It would be fairly easy to just get an aftermarket lighting harness with a fuse and relay and install it in much the same manner finding power on that same relay block and running wires from a switch to the ceiling console and up and out the corner roof clearance light grommet then into the roof cross bar to the lights. If that is not something you are good at most stereo shops or truck accessory shops could do it for you. If you look around here an online for pictures of the ceiling consoles you can find pictures of the switch location and style switch they use. I'd make sure the switch you get does have the "on" indicator led too so that you can visibly see if they might be on during the daylight.
Thank you for your response! I don't think my 03 has the switch in built which is weird since I thought it would have existed as an option for adding lights later. Any suggestions on which after market wiring harness I would need? I see so many on amazon and ebay, but many are for Jeeps. I know that lights are lights, but some of the sellers are telling me that I would need two switches, since each switch would be for two lights only, which is weird.

Any further help would be much appreciated!

Old 05-28-2021, 08:22 AM

Your will only have the switch if it had the lights. The off road lights options (there are 3 different ones) were a dealership installed option. I cannot research for you what would be the best harness. The best option in my opinion is custom wiring it so that things are neat and tidy. With any generic harness the wiring will either be too short or too long. The original harnesses are not available so the only way to have it done without having a bunch of excess wire shoved somewhere or not enough and having to hack more on is to simply custom make a harness in place using quality OEM grade connectors.

Old 05-28-2021, 09:32 AM

But the OEM grade connectors don't exist anymore?

Old 05-28-2021, 10:14 AM

Of course they do. They still make cars....

Of course you also need a specific type of crimper to properly crimp OEM grade watertight connectors onto wires. Can always just sort of squeeze them closed over the wires and solder them though. Search for Metri-Pack and Weather-Pack connectors. Can find them on eBay, Amazon, as well as many other online retailers.

Old 05-28-2021, 10:26 AM

OK thanks MixManSC! Appreciate your help!