Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Transmission rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2023, 10:48 PM

H2-Sut
Im typing in m32 transmission like the GM guy told me about and either the 4L65E Transmission is coming up or a m32 6 speed transmission. Im getting confused.
Any way of clearing this up? I tried lookig up the difference but only came up with some articles on an m32 tranny for a car.
I might buy the transmission and have GM put it in later if it is the right one.
Thanks
If you feel like texting me if thats easier let me know and I will shoot you my number

Old 12-21-2023, 09:44 AM

Roman, the following is right out of GM's database of RPO codes:

The H2 used the 4L60 4 speed automatic between 2002 thru 2004 and switched to the 4L65 between 2005 thru 2007. Both are 4 speed autos. When they finally when they went to the 6.2L engine in 2008 the switched to the 6L80 which is an 6 speed.
The RPO Code of M32 should match your RPO tag (Service Parts Identification tag) inside of your glove box. (and before you ask, no you can't use the 6L80 with your current ECM configuration)

Old 12-21-2023, 03:51 PM

Thanks that clears up a lot because that was my next question about the 6L80. So now I can see that the M32 is exactly the same and is the 4L60. Some people have said that I could or should use the 4L65 and is that possible or better to do?
I really appreciate all the time and information.

Old 12-21-2023, 04:46 PM

Go back and look at the chart again, M30 is the original non HD version of the 4L60, M32 is the upgraded Heavy Duty version which is what you will be getting. One of the best reasons for getting a Goodwrench trans is that GM takes all the lessons they have learn from failing units and applied the fixes to the new transmissions, ie hardened 300mm input shafts, new and improved sun shields, updated planetary and a bunch of other goodies.

Plus the electronics inside are matched to work with your year H2. Even if you decided to try to upgrade to a 4l65e ECM changes would need to be made for it to work properly with your H2 and that a whole other issue...

I think you will be very happy with the Goodwrench trans. If you still have questions call the GM performance parts toll free number and explain any concerns you have or options you would like to explore. They should be able to answer any questions you might have and put your fears to rest. One last thing I should mention, and very important is your radiator, GM radiators have a tendency for the trans cooler line to fail around the 100k mark. This is because many people do not replace their antifreeze when it gets older. The antifreeze becomes acidic and eats up the aluminum that sits inside the radiator. Unfortunately its one of those ticking time bombs. You don't know exactly when or if it will fail but when it does coolant is introduced into the trans through the cooler lines and promptly destroys it.

This is just one of those things with GM especially their trucks. You can't tell when it will happen or if it will happen to you. Many members on the forum have moved there trans cooling out of the radiator by adding and external cooler thus removing the possibility from occuring in the first place.

On my 06 H2 when I replaced my trans at 135k I also replaced the radiator to eliminate this issue from the recomendation of the GM dealer.

Even though I have replaced my coolant regularly and monitor the PH level my 08 H2 is sitting close to the 100k mark and I will either replace its radiator or move install a cooler outside of the radiator. Its still much cheaper then a new trans.

Not trying to muddy the water but letting you know its something to think about. It would so totally suck if you installed a brand new trans just to have it trashed because of a failure of the internal cooler line inside of your radiator.

Old 12-22-2023, 10:05 AM
Old 12-22-2023, 11:21 AM

The 4L70/75e was a GM performance version of the 4L60/5 series that was featured in the TrailBlazer SS with the high performance LS2 engine and a full time 4wd t-case. I know there are some differences in the electronics of this transmission compared to what you have now. I think this trans had a seperate TCM or transmission control module. No doubt if you could use a 4L75 it would be far superior to the 4l60.

I do think this is going to require some homework on your part plus you will need to find out if the GM dealership you will be using will deal with the necessary changes required to make it work. Plus you will need to see if GM performance will accept your core for the transaction.

Old 12-22-2023, 01:32 PM

Thanks for the Info. Im sure my radiator has not been replaced and my H2 has 200k on it. I will definitely look into this when I do the tranny and just get a new one installed when I do the whole job.
Thanks