Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Transmission rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 07:44 AM
Default Transmission rebuild

Between second and third gear my H2 has been winding high and slipping into 3rd since I purchased it. Sometimes I don't notice it just depends on how I am driving. I knew I was going to need to get this fixed and want it bullet proof/done right. When I decide to do it.
I spoke with Monster transmission in Florida and they quoted me right around 3k and once i get the core deposit back to them it works out being 2500.00
My mechanic says he has a guy who can rebuild it that he has been going to for years. one way or another I am going to have to pay to have someone put this in right.
Which route do I go? Get one from a company like monster and have mechanic put it ? Or save some money maybe and have a mechanic rebuild one and warranty it out for cheaper maybe?
Thanks

Old 12-14-2023, 08:13 PM

My 06 trans failed the same way, it would balloon when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I did reset the transmission mapping with my Tech 2 and started a fastlearn. This actually helped firm up the 2 to 3rd but only worked for a short time. Having rebuilt a number of automatic transmissions in my younger years I really didn't want to screw with it and a R and R by me was out of the picture.

After talking with a number of transmission suppliers I opted to let my local GM dealer install a Goodwrench replacement. These are transmissions that have the latest upgrades added to them plus you end up with a 100% failure warranty that not only covers future transmission failures and includes the warranty to remove and reinstall at no cost should a problem occur. At the time with the trans price, installation plus I had the rear plate and main seal replaced. Cost was just under $3500.

While it did turn out to be about $500.00 more then some of the other solutions I am happy that I went this route and I transferred the warranty to the next owner when I sold it off, a new trans with a warranty plus removing the issues of a future rear main oil leak made a big difference in making my 135k H2 much more saleable.

My second choice would have been monster transmissions because of their reputation. My final consideration was a conversion to a 4L80 but I was only going to do that if I was going to add some serious HP to the LQ4 or keep the 06 to the end of time. Short of an Allison 1000 the best trans for an H2.

Old 12-15-2023, 11:19 PM
Default Thanks for your response

Man, that sure does help me out and clear up things. I thought monster was a good choice and the man told me about the warranty they came with sounded pretty good.
I just dont know what the difference is between a mechanic telling me he has someone or that they can rebuild it. Where a company like monster sends you a whole new refurbished painted one with new internals parts or whatever they do to the transmission before i get it. Not sure if that's the same thing as someone telling me that they will rebuild mine. I just want it to be bullet proof and last me as long as I have it because I dont intend on putting another 200k mile on it. I will check out Allison's prices and Goodwrench like you said. I believe my 2003 came with the EL60 and Monster told me to go with the EL65 as it is the updated version.
Any other thoughts or suggestions you have would be appreciated and I thank you for your time and input.
Thanks
Tony

Old 12-16-2023, 10:19 AM

Tony, Obviously the GM route will be the easiest and one stop shopping. Plus if you have ANY issues in the future you simply drive into any GM dealer and its taken care of without a dime out of your pocket.

Monster trans are excellent and they have a great reputation, but you still have to have it installed which in itself can be a pain, Plus you will have to ship back the core. Add to that the fact if you should have a problem you need to make it clear if Monster will cover the R+R and return freight to them to have whatever failed resolved. For me and considering the warranty issue made the choice a no brainer.

A GM dealer will install an upgraded version of the trans you have (they won't do a 4l80 or Allison retrofit) but will give you an upgraded version of your factory transmission with all the latest improvement so it will give you many years of service. Check around town from different GM dealership parts counters before you go down to the dealership. When I did it I was able to shave a couple hundreds off the replacement costs. I then used the best price I found and had the dealership that did the work price match the other GM dealer which made the rear engine plate/main seal free to me.

Old 12-17-2023, 08:05 AM

probably not apples to apples, My '09 has been doing the 2-3 rev for the last 80,000 of it's 160,000 miles. It only does it a certain rpm/throttle/load condition. At some point it will be used as a core for a monster built unit. I'll drive it until then, or it leaves me stranded on the side of the road, at which time I'll complain about how it's always breaking down...

Old 12-17-2023, 09:40 PM

Mule and H2-sut
I appreciate all the information and I am going to drive it for now the way it is till I can do it right. I like what you were saying about checking out the various GM dealers in my area because If I can be left without sending the core back and that type of warranty then it might be the way I go. Plus, then I wont have to deal with someone installing it and whatever headaches may arise. I am not sure how long its been doing the stange wind up shift but, I have noticed like Mule said that its only at certain rpms and seems to do it bad some days more than others and sometimes I cant notice it if I drive slow. I will keep you guys posted when I decide what to do.
Thanks again on this topic.

Old 12-18-2023, 09:26 AM

I found when my 06 was doing the Balloon shift that if I let off the gas completely about the time the 2nd to 3rd shift was about to happen that it would shift into 3rd then I could get back on the gas and all was well. I did have a trans shop say I could also buy some time purchasing a tuner. He said that would increase line pressure inside the trans that would help firm up the shifts but I passed on that as a bandaid and not a long term solution.
Best of luck on your decision!

Old 12-19-2023, 07:59 AM

I bet that $3500 is probably $5500 now (let's go Brandon) but the GM rebuild from the dealer is still the best way to go.

Old 12-20-2023, 05:32 PM

Calif Phil and H2-SUT
You were both right.
Spoke to my GM dealer. They said that there are only 3 M-32 four speed electronic heavy duty transmissions left in the country right now that they can order for my H2.
Tranny alone is 3100.00 all said and done with the 3 year 100K warranty is 4971.00 for complete install.
I believe this is the way I will be going in the future because it comes with a brand new case. He also explained that if he doesn't order me one of the three left before they are gone it will just take a little longer than 1 week to get and put it in. It will have to be ordered and made.
I'm just nervous about doing it now especially if I decide to sell it one day. It drives great now except for that slip in the tranny. I just dont want to do any harm to while driving it now if the tranny is bad.
Any input is appreciated
Thanks guys

Old 12-20-2023, 08:09 PM

No doubt 5K is a tough nut to crack. Consider this, the number is only going to go up the longer you wait and it will get to the point where you won't even be able to get one, at least from GM.
You could just continue driving (and being very nice to it) until it just goes completely.

At that point you can make arrangements with Monster or deal with a local trans shop and hope for the best. Honestly, the abilities of GM tech's is not what they used to be. I question their abilities to be able to bench
rebuild your old unit with comparable results to a goodwrench unit. Another thing you could just buy the trans now from GM and put it on the shelf until yours completely dies and then have it installed later at a GM dealer,
down side to that is you may have to pay a core charge. Good luck with your soul searching, it really hard sometimes to know which road to take.

Quick Reply: Transmission rebuild