Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Transmission finally went. RIP.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 02:22 PM
Default Transmission finally went. RIP.

I know a lot of people ask how long the transmission last on our H2's, and my original tranny on my '03 finally went this week at 205,000 miles (didn't like to shift between 1st and 2nd, all other gears were fine). At that milage, it wasn't really worth rebuilding. Opted for a new dealership installed tranny at $4k, including labor. A bit pricey, but worth it to me, since I've had mine for about 4 years now and never loved a vehicle as much as my H2. A used one wasn't much cheaper, only by $400-$500, and that's without a warranty. The new one has a 3 year warranty. Should have it back on Thursday, ready to go another 200k.

No questions to post, I just wanted to throw it out there for people wanting to know how long the original transmissions last on the H2.

Old 07-20-2020, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dave in Maine
I know a lot of people ask how long the transmission last on our H2's, and my original tranny on my '03 finally went this week at 205,000 miles (didn't like to shift between 1st and 2nd, all other gears were fine). At that milage, it wasn't really worth rebuilding. Opted for a new dealership installed tranny at $4k, including labor. A bit pricey, but worth it to me, since I've had mine for about 4 years now and never loved a vehicle as much as my H2. A used one wasn't much cheaper, only by $400-$500, and that's without a warranty. The new one has a 3 year warranty. Should have it back on Thursday, ready to go another 200k.

No questions to post, I just wanted to throw it out there for people wanting to know how long the original transmissions last on the H2.

thanks! whats your engine at?
are u thinking of flushing the tranny to a full syn like amsoil?

Old 07-20-2020, 02:34 PM

Not sure on the full synth. Still original engine, also at 205k... but will happily replace that as well when it's time. I bought my '03 with 180k on it, fully knowing I would need to replace both the engine and tranny at some point soon, so they are both calculated casualties, lol. Luckily, absolutely no engine issue yet, runs like brand new.

Old 07-20-2020, 03:52 PM

Not bad, I like to see 300k, yet you didn't own it since new. I recommend fluid/filter change every 30k with a flush every other filter change. If the replacement is a dealer install, they will use/and for warranty purposes stick with dexVI. #04-07-30-037E:

Old 07-21-2020, 07:48 AM

205k is a good run, you made a wise choice in going with the Reman GM unit. Your rig looks sharp and I luv your lic plate.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by calif phil
205k is a good run, you made a wise choice in going with the Reman GM unit. Your rig looks sharp and I luv your lic plate.
Thanks. Yeah, there were some slightly cheaper options, but I plan on keeping this rig until the earth reclaims her, so worth it to me to do it right. Out of all the vehicles I've owned in my 42 years, nothing else compares. When the tranny went, I even looked around to consider what I would trade it in for to get something else, and everything else was just kinda "blah", regardless of price. Hummers slogan is 100% spot on... "Like Nothing Else". She'll be due for an engine at some point, which I'll happily replace. Hoping to see half a million miles on her someday.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:07 AM

Quick question that some of you may know the answer to... When they replace my transmission, will they be reflashing the ECM? I need a reflash to fix the power seat from going in the opposite direction (service bulletin issue on the '03s), but not sure if I need to tell the dealer to do this, or if they will be doing it anyway when they put the new transmission in. Hoping it may fix my "Ice possible" message that I get every time I start it up, even in 100 degree weather too, lol. I replaced the BCM about 20k miles ago, and the ice possible message started shortly after that, although not immediately after. Backwards power seat controls have been that way since I owned it, even after installing the new BCM (weird... wouldn't they need to reflash the ECM after installing the new BCM? Maybe not, I dunno anything about the electrical side of things).

Last edited by Dave in Maine; 07-21-2020 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:40 AM

it is the drivers seat module that needs to get flashed not the BCM. also the dealer will not take the time to upgrade modules ***** nilly. i am sure if you ask them to update they will want to charge some sort of hourly rate as it takes time to program each module.
there is no master update for everything to be upgraded at once.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
it is the drivers seat module that needs to get flashed not the BCM. also the dealer will not take the time to upgrade modules ***** nilly. i am sure if you ask them to update they will want to charge some sort of hourly rate as it takes time to program each module.
there is no master update for everything to be upgraded at once.
Cool, thanks for the info. Wasn't sure if it was like a PC where they could just enter the VIN and it did like a format and restore. Damn, no such luck, lol. If I'm spending over $4k on the transmission, I'm sure my service manager will throw in a free seat module flash. He's pretty good to me. When I did the BCM, retail with labor and diagnostics was $1600, and he knocked 4 hours of diagnostic labor off of that total, since it took them awhile in tracing my wiring only to find it was the BCM in the end.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:36 PM

If they are doing pass through programming with a Tech2 they can update all modules in about 10 minutes.... I've done it. Works much faster than connecting the Tech2, request info, take the Tech2 to a computer, etc. Way easier and faster doing is as pass through programming. Just need a serial cable long enough to reach from the vehicle to the computer or have the programming (TIS2000 or TIS2Web) on a laptop and connected to the Tech2 while updating.

Pass through is also safer. I was updating a Trailblazer the other way and it failed the update and the car would not run or anything. Tried about 3 more times. Thought I bricked the PCM. Fortunately I never fully shut the key off, went and grabbed some cat 5 and two adapter plugs and made a long serial cable and tried again using pass through and it recovered and finished the update.

Last edited by MixManSC; 07-21-2020 at 12:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmission finally went. RIP.