Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Transfer case motor fix

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 02:49 PM
Default Transfer case motor fix

If you push the selector switch on your transfer case selector switch and only the lights flash, your transfer case motor is hung up. 4 bolts hold the motor in place. You can remove those 4 bolts, drop the motor and test it with the motor off. Without being attached to the transfer case, it possibly can free it up. The issue is actually inside the motor. 3 screws hold the cooper coil covering on. Put some grease on the end of the coil shaft that sits in the end of the cover and spray some lube inside the gear housing as well. The motor has dried up and just needs to be lubed. Be sure to watch how you put the coil cover off. There are two springs that will shoot out if not set correctly.

Old 01-28-2020, 03:46 PM

I did this to mine and worked a few times more and that was it, may have been the original one also. But a Seller on Ebay has them OEM for 127.00 right now cheapest around, just got mine and all good now.

Old 01-28-2020, 04:46 PM

I will def update if that turns out to be the case. mu gears were stiff and the grease at the end of the shaft was black and hard. i have never really used my TC, so hopefully this was a simple fix for me.

Old 01-28-2020, 06:24 PM

I also replaced mine with a new OEM one. I did take the original apart. The old grease was hard and just no good anymore, cleaned it, added new grease and stuck it on a shelf for possible future emergency use.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:02 PM

Can't shift out of 4 Low. I removed the trans case motor from the transfer case, used electrical cleaner and then tried to make it move by pushing the buttons while the truck in neutral. Tried this with motor running and also with motor off and accessory on. it makes absolutely no noise. I can try pulling apart but it more likely seems to me it is not receiving power. That possible?

Old 04-10-2020, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by gwarrend
Can't shift out of 4 Low. I removed the trans case motor from the transfer case, used electrical cleaner and then tried to make it move by pushing the buttons while the truck in neutral. Tried this with motor running and also with motor off and accessory on. it makes absolutely no noise. I can try pulling apart but it more likely seems to me it is not receiving power. That possible?
UPDATE - I used my multimeter and confirmed wires to encoder motor had power. Thinking motor must have seized - rarely used. Next, I pulled the encoder motor apart and used penetrating oil overnight.. Shocked it a few times by touching it to H3 battery. It is now moving again when buttons pressed!

Hope this assists others with similar issues.

Old 04-10-2020, 11:09 AM

Good deal. that should be your only issue. if they don't get used enough, they freeze up. open her up, slap on some new grease and you should be good to go.