Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Transfer case and differential service Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 08:26 PM
Default Transfer case and differential service Questions!

I’m buying a 2007 H2 Hummer in the next week, it has a 233k miles on it but it is in immaculate condition in and out , it also has a newer oem motor just installed With 70k , transmission has been serviced and has no issues. My question is I have no record on if the differentials and transfer case have ever been serviced , Just wanted opinions on if I should let sleeping dogs lie and not mess with it especially with the mileage on the truck or advise me to have them both serviced?? I do know the owner DID NOT do hardly any ( if at all ) off roading with the truck ! Thanks so much in advance for any and everyone’s help 🙏

Old 10-14-2021, 08:56 PM

How much are you paying?

Old 10-14-2021, 09:18 PM
Default $16500

I’m buying the truck for $16500

Old 10-14-2021, 09:21 PM
Default $16,500 for the truck

Originally Posted by hummerz
How much are you paying?
I’m paying $16500 for the truck

Old 10-15-2021, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HF. MOVED for you.

Please read before you post, then you would have seen the New Member Section is for new member hellos where it says "This Section Is Not For Tech Questions!!"

Old 10-15-2021, 11:12 AM

My apologies ! Didn’t see that as well as how to delete my profile from this site ? Maybe you can do that for me big time 😉

Old 10-15-2021, 12:30 PM

This by far the best hummer forum in the world!

Contributions come from range of individuals, such as amateurs like myself, to highly experienced motor engineers, to all of whom we are deeply indebted.

From simple questions, to complex problems, there is usually some form of response, suggestion and quite often a solution.

My truck would certainly not be on the road without the aid of this forum, so thanks to all who donate their precious time to help others ...

Old 10-15-2021, 07:38 PM

Changing the diff and xfer case fluids is recommended, these items are not like the transmission that has gone a long time without service and will not cause any issues.

I would recommend you pull the rear cover so you can inspect the gears to see their condition. Put in a high quality synthetic 75w90 gear lube in the diffs, and Dexron VI in the transfer case.

Old 10-16-2021, 08:21 AM

For sure you want to service the T-Case and the Diffs, I would add a brake fluid flush as well.

Congratulations on the new rig, Sounds like you got a nice one.

Old 10-16-2021, 03:04 PM

Congrats. Great that it looks good on the outside, but you bought a super-high mileage vehicle. That means likely more used-up underneath (for example, engine already changed out).

So it will need some TLC to keep going trouble-free. And put aside a couple of grand/year for maintenance/repairs/improvements.

Cheap insurance to change ALL the fluids, and pronto, if they have not been done on schedule.
I change them much more often than schedule calls for. Again, very cheap insurance, and I do it myself.
And unless you have a paper receipt, do not believe what seller told you.

Power steering, coolant, front dif, rear dif, t-case, engine oil, trany, and brake fluid.
Lube the chassis (all 12 or 13 points).
Remember, difs call for synthetic gear oil. DO NOT use dino oil.
Stick to AC Delco fluids, and avoid the weird purple and other weird stuff people like to pour into their cars.
Your vehicle was designed and tested with GM fluids.

Have fun in your H2.

P.S> you mentioned offroading. Less than 5% of people take a Jeep or H2 offroad. Most are parking lot princesses.
And the H2 gauge is too wide for tree'd trails unless one wants bush stripes painted on it by the trees.
And things like the 3 OEM skid plates are a joke, and only designed for accidental offroading.
Stick to pavement for longer life.

Last edited by finall; 10-16-2021 at 03:16 PM.