Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Still getting water in '08 H2!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 01:05 PM

I also have a water issue. No sunroof. When accelerating or braking, I hear what sounds like water running in the passenger side roof area. Is there a drain up there somewhere?

Old 12-12-2020, 05:07 PM

probably bad gaskets and dried up wire grommets on the roof lights. the antenna gaskets can also fail but the light are more common of a failure

Old 12-12-2020, 07:40 PM

100% Silicone to seal! I prefer to seal at entry, however you can seal without removing anything.

Old 12-21-2020, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by OceansEnd
I had a similar leak. I fixed it by getting glass adhesive and putting it on the front windshield - lower several inches - I pulled the rubber back - just barely enough to get the silicone adhesive in there, then I taped the windshield and rubber in place for several hours, then removed the tape and trimmed the excess adhesive. On the maintenance side, I went ahead and pulled back the weather stripping on all of my doors - gave them all a good clean, then added liquid rubber to a few sections. Additionally I got a step ladder, unscrewed all my roof lights, cleaned everything real good and resealed them with silicone. I also wiped down all of the rubber components with a good protective coating - something I use for interior and exterior plastics and rubber.
Never use Silicone, it has a acid in it eats the paint , then rusts then you have more problems..

Old 12-21-2020, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Todd Purdy
Never use Silicone, it has a acid in it eats the paint , then rusts then you have more problems..
Acid trip, eats the paint!

Old 12-21-2020, 05:55 PM

Silicone is also a total nightmare to remove if needed and to reseal - new silicone does not stick well to old silicone. Urethane based sealants are the way to go. That is also what car manufacturers use.

Old 12-21-2020, 07:23 PM

replacing the lightbulbs after using a sealant on the housings will be a miserable task. i guess the previous owner listened to someone on a forum. ask me how i know.

Old 12-21-2020, 08:21 PM

Urethane base sealants(5yr warranty) don't last as long as the silicone based sealants(20yr warranty). The trick is to remove the housing, clean, dry, reseal with silicone, let cure, then reinstall the housing. Works like a charm!

Old 08-21-2023, 05:02 AM

@firmani99 did you ever get it figured out? mine too gets a PUDDLE of water just smack dab in the middle of the floorboards, i have watched water drip thru my overhead onstar unit, i have watched rain poor thru the grab bar, then it runs down side of dash between dash and door,,, there may be more going on withmine, i must find out where alll these drains are people are talking about, the roof liner is ruined, stained, hanging, and by the grab bars the fabric on liner is stained and ruined, horrible,,,,,, im lost with it

Old 08-21-2023, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by MuseumMansDaughter
@firmani99 did you ever get it figured out? mine too gets a PUDDLE of water just smack dab in the middle of the floorboards, i have watched water drip thru my overhead onstar unit, i have watched rain poor thru the grab bar, then it runs down side of dash between dash and door,,, there may be more going on withmine, i must find out where alll these drains are people are talking about, the roof liner is ruined, stained, hanging, and by the grab bars the fabric on liner is stained and ruined, horrible,,,,,, im lost with it
Here is the list from most likely to least likely (Hummer Owners let me know if I missed one). You will need to check each one individually until you find it:
  • Under the Outside Corner Clearance Lights - The wiring harness must be resealed to the body of the truck
  • Under Center Clearance Lights - You will need to add new foam gaskets
  • Exterior Weather Stripping that goes up A-Pillar and across top of front and rear doors - you will need to ensure the weatherstripping is seated well along the curve where A-Pillar joins roof line
  • Sunroof - Ensure drain tubes are properly connected to sunroof pan and are not clogged
  • Cover concealing AC plenum under under front cowling - ensure it's intact and replace if necessary
    Amazon Amazon
  • Windshield - Remove all trim as if you are replacing your windshield and reseal
  • Body Seam Under Luggage rack track - you will need to remove track and plastic fascia to reseal body seam

Quick Reply: Still getting water in '08 H2!!