Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Spare Tire Lugnuts???

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 08:33 PM
Default Spare Tire Lugnuts???

"New-to-me" H2 recently acquired. The rear mounted spare tire does not match the 4 on the ground, so I've gotten a rim and tire to match the vehicle. The lugnuts holding the spare onto the carrier seem to be some sort of oddball or anti-theft style retainers. Can anybody help identify the tool I need to remove the current spare? Recommendations on where to purchase would be great, because I can't find said tool anywhere in the vehicle........

Old 10-22-2020, 08:47 PM
Old 10-22-2020, 09:31 PM

I appreciate the video link, but not really what I am looking for. If I blow a tire while in my shop with access to breaker bars, hammers, punches, and a torch I'll be ok. Obviously these lugnuts require a special socket or wrench that I'm not familiar with. Hoping someone knows where to find the tool I need........

Old 10-22-2020, 10:02 PM

You remove them and toss in garbage - replace with a set you have the “key” for or you replace with normal lug nuts. Why would you leave them on if you can’t access wheel in a flat situation? Remove them now and toss them. If you have no “key” they are useless and need to be removed.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:18 PM

Just spot weld an old lugnut to them to get them off. Then do as previous post said. Throw them in the trash. Buy a couple regular lugnuts to hold the spare on.

Old 10-23-2020, 07:31 AM

Or take an angle grinder to them and make flat sides so that you can put an adjustable wrench on them. Multiple ways to get them off so you can replace them. There are dozens of different types so finding the exact key socket for them is not going to be easy....

Old 10-23-2020, 11:44 AM

looks like vise grips would get them off. if not they do sell extractor sockets you hammer on and remove with a breaker bar

Old 10-23-2020, 04:10 PM

They are the old theft resistant locks from the original wheels, someone pulled a dikk move by putting them all on the spare. 1st thing, make sure the key is not in glove box or somewhere else. If not, as others have indicated you will have to try any means necessary to get them off and install standard lug nuts. Maybe run by a tire store and get their opinion.

Tim

Old 10-23-2020, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by bincitybandit
I appreciate the video link, but not really what I am looking for. If I blow a tire while in my shop with access to breaker bars, hammers, punches, and a torch I'll be ok. Obviously these lugnuts require a special socket or wrench that I'm not familiar with. Hoping someone knows where to find the tool I need........
I don't carry a spare! If I did, I would only have the same tool to remove the wheel that I was driving on.
I don't have to worry about the condition of the spare(still planted in the backyard), since I get road side assistance with my auto insurance company. Better fuel economy and the best part, NO SPARE=FREE TOW.

Old 10-24-2020, 07:27 AM

Another option is to swing by a tire shop, they have sockets made for those and can probably spin them right off, slip them a Jackson and be on your way.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Lugnuts???