Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Spare tire latch issue and fix.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 01:25 PM
Default Spare tire latch issue and fix.

So I have been having the issue with the spare tire latch unlatching on its on. Searched the web with no results. Decided to take the time to see how it operated. Turns out that the issue stems from something we done to it. For me, my ladder sits inline with the latch and I would sometimes step on it when climbing down. That is all it took to cause the issue. If you look at the latch handle from a side angle, you will see that the top of the handle is bulging out. What has happened is that the handle now sits lower than it should. When the carrier slams against the latch, it sets, but the handle no longer allows the pin to set correctly and the handle itself actually rests against the latch housing. Any vibration or bump now causes the improperly set latch to unlatch. All that needs to be done is to remove the latch mechanism, remove the arm from the handle, and then bang the handle back into shape.... problem solved.