Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Should I Trade My H2

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 08:22 AM
Default Should I Trade My H2

So I am seriously considering finally parting with my H2 after 12 years; however, I am torn between trading it in or trying to sell it outright. I’m hoping for a little advice from my you guys as I really don’t want to deal with lots of tire kickers who don’t appreciate the H2. It’s a 2005 with 119,800 miles on it. I have taken very good care of it through the years and have numerous upgrades on it and just put brand new shocks and tires on. Right now, the trade offer on it is pretty low, but I know someone that appreciates an H2 would love to have it. It just seems there are less and less of them. So, any advice would be appreciated.

2005 Hummer H2, AirRaid Cold air intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Fabtech uniball UCA, Fabtech HD tie rods, Fox Shocks, AMP electric steps, Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 35/12.50R20, 20” Procomp aluminum wheels, LED headlights

Old 01-28-2021, 08:29 AM

It's much easier to trade it in, but you will most likely get a few thousand less than a private sell. All the mods you made will not help your trade in value and can even hurt it. If you find a buyer that likes what you have changed, then it's more apt to bring you a better price. Post an ad for a few G's more than the dealer offered on FB marketplace and see if you get much interest.

Old 01-28-2021, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by calif phil
It's much easier to trade it in, but you will most likely get a few thousand less than a private sell. All the mods you made will not help your trade in value and can even hurt it. If you find a buyer that likes what you have changed, then it's more apt to bring you a better price. Post an ad for a few G's more than the dealer offered on FB marketplace and see if you get much interest.
That’s kind of what I was thinking Phil. I think my real problem is my emotional attachment to her and my worry that some yahoo that doesn’t know anything about H2’s will buy it and trash it. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Old 01-28-2021, 09:42 AM

If you want ease take it to a Carmax, I was in and out in less than 30 mins with a check.

Old 01-28-2021, 10:20 AM

Can you post a pic? and price? Someone on the forum might be interested.

Old 01-28-2021, 11:47 AM

Sell it outright. My dealer that I've purchased 10 or 12 vehicles from and even got my H2 from offered me $9500 for mine. He showed my the auction prices (florida) and that was higher than average but still a risk.

I had mine up on marketplace for $16,900. I had (2) $14,000 offeres but don't need to sell it so I still have it. My truck is extremely nice but almost 180,000 miles.

Tim

Old 01-28-2021, 02:16 PM

you can try selling it on something like cargurus or one of the many others out there
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...edEntity=c7984

Old 01-28-2021, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by tharber
Sell it outright. My dealer that I've purchased 10 or 12 vehicles from and even got my H2 from offered me $9500 for mine. He showed my the auction prices (florida) and that was higher than average but still a risk.

I had mine up on marketplace for $16,900. I had (2) $14,000 offeres but don't need to sell it so I still have it. My truck is extremely nice but almost 180,000 miles.

Tim
You’re right, I probably could get a little more than the $12k they are giving me on trade, but I don’t think I really want the headache. I will be making my decision by 6:00 tonight. SMH! I should not get emotionally attached to my vehicles.

Old 01-28-2021, 03:29 PM

Always Negotiate Your Trade-in Separately

Dealers typically make more money on used cars than they do on new ones.They know most car shoppers are mainly focused on the new car and don't do much research on the car they're trading-in. This is a HUGE mistake!

The main tactic dealers use is to bundle the trade-in with the price of the new car. They will give you a great price on the trade-in (over the Blue Book value), and you think you're getting a great deal. What you don't realize is the dealer just jacked up the price on the new car.

By the time the deal is done, you're left confused with all the numbers and think you got a great deal, when in fact, you got ripped off. The way to prevent this is to separate your trade-in negotiation from the new car purchase.

Always shop your trade-in and negotiate its price with multiple dealers before negotiating the price of your new car. This way, you'll have a much better idea as to its real worth, rather than relying on the offer from one dealer.

Old 01-28-2021, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz

Always Negotiate Your Trade-in Separately

Dealers typically make more money on used cars than they do on new ones.They know most car shoppers are mainly focused on the new car and don't do much research on the car they're trading-in. This is a HUGE mistake!

The main tactic dealers use is to bundle the trade-in with the price of the new car. They will give you a great price on the trade-in (over the Blue Book value), and you think you're getting a great deal. What you don't realize is the dealer just jacked up the price on the new car.

By the time the deal is done, you're left confused with all the numbers and think you got a great deal, when in fact, you got ripped off. The way to prevent this is to separate your trade-in negotiation from the new car purchase.

Always shop your trade-in and negotiate its price with multiple dealers before negotiating the price of your new car. This way, you'll have a much better idea as to its real worth, rather than relying on the offer from one dealer.
Thanks Hummerz! And yes, I negotiated the vehicle price first and then we brought the trade to the table. I did decide to go ahead and trade it in. So, no more H2 for me. 😢 But, I am now the proud owner of a 2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave! Now I guess I will be posting all of the extra parts I have left for sale. Thanks again.

Meet Oscar, our new addition to the family. 2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave.

Quick Reply: Should I Trade My H2