Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Second thoughts on the age of a used H2

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2023 | 10:37 AM
|
Default Second thoughts on the age of a used H2

So I've seen a couple H2's in nice shape now, with under 100k miles, but I just can't shake the idea of buying a 15 year old vehicle for 20k or more....

Seems like a lot for a pretty old truck. Not that I can buy anything newer for 20k either, but the car market is wild.

any thoughts or reassurance about buying a vehicle of this vintage? I've bought 10-15 year old Honda and Toyota before.... No problems. Bought an older Xterra before and... It was a pain. And I didn't spend anywhere close to 20k on it....

​​​​​​Thoughts?

Old 01-19-2023 | 01:48 PM

I'm on my 3rd H2 and they hold their value far better than any other vehicle I've ever owned. They are also very reliable and repairs/maintenance are cheaper than anything I've ever owned. The only problem I had was w/ my 2nd because it lived in the northeast and midwest so it had a lot of rust. Find a clean one that didn't live in the rust belt and you will be very happy. They are great vehicles to own, road trip, take off-roading and drive in any weather conditions imaginable. Best of luck w/ your search!

Old 01-19-2023 | 04:28 PM

HUMMER HAS A BOXED FRAME:BUILT TO LAST!

C-VS-BOX:

Old 01-19-2023 | 11:57 PM

This vehicle is not for everyone. It is for the special few. A cult vehicle, LOL!

Don’t be fooled by the unique, great looks. These vehicles are now 14-20 years old (guessing about 17 years median by numbers produced) and parts are getting real hard to find. Lots of stuff discontinued.

You have to REALLY want this vehicle. Otherwise walk away. Most of them are abused, molested, chopped up wiring from customizations gone wrong, and other issues. Like 90% of them. You can clearly see that on this forum.

Spend $30K, and you may get a cherry. Spend little, and you are just buying problems. Spend $60K and it should be fully restored, like new. You get what u pay for, so don’t cheap out.

I have owned an H2 since 2006. So I have some experience with these beasts.

Reality check: this is no Honda.

Last edited by finall; 01-20-2023 at 12:02 AM.
Old 01-20-2023 | 09:47 AM

mmm. mine eats honda's for breakfast.

Old 01-20-2023 | 11:44 AM

If you want dependability & blend in with the herd, get a Honda, Toyota, lexus etc...

If you want something that's different and have no regrets to spend a $1000 every year or so in basic upkeep - get the Hummer.

If you are judging this as an expenditures issue, pass on it. Think of owning a Hummer as a Hobby.

I will tell you this- my 2006 special edition H2 gets comments at the gas pumps, stores etc. (as with any uncommon "vintage" vehicle) I would say easily monthly.

We are not here to "sell" you on why YOU need a H2 in your life.... You are already aware expenses are probable. Again, if money/repairs/upkeep is an issue- go with the herd.

Old 01-20-2023 | 09:15 PM
Default Like Nothing Else, truely its not for everyone

Consider the following comments from a long time owner:

As Finall mentioned you got to spend some money to get a real cherry, and unless you get collectors insurance on it you more than likely will get screwed by the insurance company if for some reason it becomes totalled!

Mileage on the speedo is not the total picture, I have seen H2's from the northern states with only 30k that were rotted out underneath from the salt. Maintenance records are gold but most are long gone from being traded multiple times.

Next, finding specific parts are becoming more and more difficult to locate and usually come at a premium. Junk yards consider H2's gold and get a fortune for parts even if they are worn out crap.

Also, Finding a competent H2 Mechanics can be difficult. While it does share many components of GM trucks/SUV's it does require a specialized knowledge to work on them, most of the H2 mechanics have gone the way of the dodo.

You might be a rolling target, many people still despise these vehicles and I have seen a number that have been vandalized.

We all know Biden's gas is expensive and only getting worse. Plus if you buy an 08/09 plan on shelling out the difference for premium fuel. Consider this vehicle as streamlined as a brick with 4 wheels and its thirsty.

You must have the want to maintain these vehicles, you will find you will want to purchase some specialized tools, a GM Tech 2 is an absolute must, obd2 readers won't cut it.

With all that said to me owning a H2 (and I have had 3) is a quest to own something different and very special. I love how they drive, their look and awesome capabilities. But you have to be willing to take the good with the bad.

If you have an issue with any of the points I and other have brought up this vehicle might not be for you. Now with all that said if your still inclined to buy one you will become part of a very special group of individuals and you will own something "like nothing else"

Old 01-21-2023 | 04:26 PM
|

Good perspectives all, I hadn't even considered collector's insurance to make sure it's fully covered to its "real value" not just on paper bank value... Good idea.

Fortunately I'm at a point in my life where the financial parts and expenditures are not a issue that factors much for me. It's more that I like to go back country and absolutely don't care to make a 40 mile mountainous hike to get cell service to get a tow!

​​​​​​Thanks y'all. Still hunting for the one...

Old 01-22-2023 | 10:57 AM

Some good reading and sound advice from all.
Our 05 rides mostly on supreme or 93. sometimes I put the 89 grade and it runs good too. If I fuel up with regular gas 87 it runs like crap, you can tell right away. I think it’s because for most of its life it was fed 93. My father in law took good care of this truck and always used the best gas even though it was meant for regular.

maintenance is high on ours because it’s been driven to the moon and back (just about lol) and it’s from the north east where snow and salt had done some damage to the frame, undercarriage etc. def spend over a few grand a year.
these trucks are collectables and I want to get one more in the near future.
good luck

Old 01-22-2023 | 05:49 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by BajaBlast
So I've seen a couple H2's in nice shape now, with under 100k miles, but I just can't shake the idea of buying a 15 year old vehicle for 20k or more....

Seems like a lot for a pretty old truck. Not that I can buy anything newer for 20k either, but the car market is wild.

any thoughts or reassurance about buying a vehicle of this vintage? I've bought 10-15 year old Honda and Toyota before.... No problems. Bought an older Xterra before and... It was a pain. And I didn't spend anywhere close to 20k on it....

​​​​​​Thoughts?

Have you driven a nice H2 yet? Nothing else like the H2. Properly maintained and taken care of , these will last forever (rust free).

Probably like most here on the H2 forum, we pride ourselves in owning something as unique and well built as the H2. Most people don't get it, which is fine......

If you can't spend the $$$ on a nice 08/09, try and find an 06/07 with the Luxury package. Z83 comfort ride suspension, Bose deluxe 9 speaker sound system, all the bells and whistles, 4L65E heavy duty 4spd Auto, 4X4 high/low locking differentials, etc...........

Rule number one in life.....F**K what everyone else thinks. Be a rebel.

Quick Reply: Second thoughts on the age of a used H2