Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Running board delete

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2024, 05:29 PM
Default Running board delete

The factory boards are rusted out as well as rock rails, drivers side running board flexes a bit when i use it.

I see some aftermarket boards that bolt to rock rails but that is not an option.

Only option I see is to remove whole assembly and custom fab something? Using those universal truck usteps, spring loaded if I want to get fancy.
Anyone tried this?

OR remove passenger side (fine for some reason, no rust)? and swap to drivers side?
*dont need side steps on pass side.

OR FULL delete, and roll without running boards, would probably look pretty good but guessing tough to get into? any tips?

Old 09-08-2024, 09:57 PM

amp research sells power folding side steps that mount directly where the rock rails mount on the chassis. they are pricey though but they work well. the wiring is not too bad but you will have to remove the front door panels and the b pillar trim to access the front and rear door trigger wires. there are rubber body plugs under the front footwells under the carpets to run the wiring to the lights and motors.

the drivers side and passenger side factory rockrails do not interchange. so you can not swap them from one side to another.

Old 09-10-2024, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
amp research sells power folding side steps that mount directly where the rock rails mount on the chassis. they are pricey though but they work well. the wiring is not too bad but you will have to remove the front door panels and the b pillar trim to access the front and rear door trigger wires. there are rubber body plugs under the front footwells under the carpets to run the wiring to the lights and motors.

the drivers side and passenger side factory rockrails do not interchange. so you can not swap them from one side to another.

I installed the Amp Research folding steps on my 07 a couple years ago, absolutely love them. They look just like factory rock sliders when in the up position.

I don't need the rock sliders as my H2 isn't for extreme off roading, only skiing. And, you'll lessen quite a bit of weight without them.

Old 09-11-2024, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by zenith
I installed the Amp Research folding steps on my 07 a couple years ago, absolutely love them. They look just like factory rock sliders when in the up position.

I don't need the rock sliders as my H2 isn't for extreme off roading, only skiing. And, you'll lessen quite a bit of weight without them.
I also had the amp steps and they were awesome for about 7 years until i trashed them on a rock last year lol.

Old 09-11-2024, 10:08 AM

i purchaesed the AMP research from jegs over the summer.
you can usually find a jegs coupon code you can redeam for a bit of a discount.
OFFROAD seams to always be available with some sort of discount.

Old 09-13-2024, 07:15 PM

I hear you guys on the amp power boards, have seen them live and they are def. slick!

Cant justify the price on a winter truck and worried about them seizing up when not used for a few months.

Sooo... I came across a set of rough country boards at an unbelievable price (I associate rough country with quality).

They are made for gmc suv's and since im tearing out all factory boards/rails and starting from scratch even if I spend ?$200? on fab work to make them fit it is still a super cheap permanent fix.

Added bonus I think they would look great on a h2.

Thoughts please?

running boards

Old Today, 11:17 AM

If you can't find a decent factory set from a recycler/salvage yard then those would be a reasonable replacement and give the H2 an updated look. Biggest question is how well the steps line up with the entry points and if the are the right length.