Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Roof Gutter Seam Seal Rotted

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 03:57 PM

idk maybe they installed it on a friday?

Old 06-27-2021, 04:39 PM

It shrunk like a dry sponge? Pack the seam and reposition the trim over the seam, hold in place until it cures. You don't need to fill the channel, just protect the seam sealer from drying out/cracking. Or just paint the seam sealer for protection?

Old 06-28-2021, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by bronxteck

nothing special about it it is there to hide and protect the seam sealer. mine is lifting up a bit. need to tack it down with some 3m trim tape
Thanks! This was helpful - it confirms that trim is NOT part of the roof rack and just a standalone piece that I can get and add on there.

Old 06-28-2021, 11:58 AM

i don't think it shrank it has a metal strip inside looks to be held down with factory 3/8" 3M grey automotive trim adhesive

Old 06-29-2021, 08:29 AM

Yeah I forgot that the seam just has one of those stick on strips on top. Same as what GM used on the pickup trucks roof seam for the same generation. I have various 3M VHB tapes at my sign shop and now remember cleaning the old foam VHB tape off of those strips and putting them back on with new tape.

Old 07-04-2021, 11:18 AM

Our 07 does NOT have any black trim piece over the seam.

It has zero purpose?
I actually see a negative benefit.
1. Would just trap water under it.
2. It can lift and tug at your sealer.

You can not see the seam on the H2, so why bother with this.
Do not use it, unless you can tell me a specific reason as to why you should.

The sealer is painted. As such, I use touchup paint regularly to keep it from weathering.
Everyone needs to do that!

Old 07-04-2021, 08:53 PM

i guess yours are missing or never got installed. my truck has them and is 4 years older than yours. i do not have any of the issues you are worrying about. and mine lives out in the north east weather.

Old 07-04-2021, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
i guess yours are missing or never got installed. my truck has them and is 4 years older than yours. i do not have any of the issues you are worrying about. and mine lives out in the north east weather.
How do you touch-up paint the sealant when it is covered by the strips? The point is, it is much harder to upkeep the paint in that area as the strips get in the way and can actually hide problem areas.

I can not think of a single good reason for the strip, but can think of multiple negative reasons to have it on your vehicle.
Our 07 did not come from the factory with these.
So maybe they stopped using this un-necessary strip by the time our 2007 went to production.

Maybe others with an 07-up can chime in as to whether they have this on their vehicle?
Hummerz seems to have a good source of looking up parts schematics, maybe he can answer that.

Old 07-05-2021, 03:20 PM

it is quite possible they discontinued using the part. the 03 has many things that are different then the later years. like roof mounted antenna, serviceable fuel filter and pressure regulator on the injector fuel rail.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:19 PM

For what its worth the 03-06 used the GM part no. 15099171. In 07 GM moved to a seam sealer. Unfortunately the seam sealer does not hold up well to the sun and over time deteriorates. My 08 needs to be redone as the sealer has shrunken and is pulling away from the edges.

GM has a seam sealer product 10-2013 that is still available that was one of the products as well as 15099171 used on our H2's. A new replacement product 12378500 is also available as well as the 3M product (which actually may bet the best) that bronxteck mentioned.

Considering the time it will take to lay down the product and get it flattened out I wonder which would be best to work with and get it right considering I have no experience with any of them. Just want it to look factory, then paint it and forget it forever.

Quick Reply: Roof Gutter Seam Seal Rotted