Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Roof Gutter Seam Seal Rotted

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 11:40 AM
Default Roof Gutter Seam Seal Rotted

Has anyone here dealt with the seam sealant on the roof dry rotting and cracking? My headliner has water stains all over - not just the corner marker lights. Looking at the seam sealer, I would be shocked if it isn't leaking here.

Hoping someone else has dealt with this and has some good advice. I saw a YouTube video on installing this stuff, but wanted to see if anyone has specifically done it on a Hummer.

Old 06-23-2021, 02:28 PM

I did on mine.... I dont remember exactly which one I used but I went to a local auto paint supply place and got the one they recommended. It was from 3M and specifically for exterior body seams (single part type, not a 2 part one). It was like $25 for the single tube of it. I very lightly scuffed the entire seam with a wire brush on a drill, then scrubbed and rinsed it well, then a final cleaning with isopropyl alcohol before I applied it. Then left it inside my garage for a few days to cure well before I put the rails and rack back together. Of course at the same time I made sure the corner light grommets were sealed well and put new gaskets on the middle ones.

Old 06-23-2021, 02:57 PM

Did you remove all the old sealant or just go right on top? How long ago was that and how has it held up?

I plan on doing the roof lights at the same time, and looking at the drivers door gasket. I noticed it is a little flappy and needs some attention.

Old 06-23-2021, 04:35 PM
Default Seam Sealer

3M
Flexiclear Body Seam Sealer
Item # 08405
I used it, 4 years ago and still holding strong

Old 06-23-2021, 05:02 PM

I just went over the top. The old stuff would probably be nest to impossible to totally remove.... I just scuffed it a tiny bit with a wire wheel on a drill to clean it some. Probably 2 year ago for me. No problems since.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:58 AM

isn't there supposed to be a black trim piece over that area? did you guys remove it?

Old 06-24-2021, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
isn't there supposed to be a black trim piece over that area? did you guys remove it?
I was wondering the same thing. I've always seen trim pieces over these seams, but my H2 doesn't have any. The pictures I posted were from the first time I ever saw up there at the car lot, so I'm not sure if anything was ever removed by the previous owner. Does anyone else have trim up here??

Old 06-24-2021, 06:04 PM

You are missing the entire main inner trim part of the roof rack.... Only pic I have handy from right after I got mine (already replaced that FM antenna - 2003 was the only year with the antenna on the roof by the way).

Old 06-24-2021, 06:07 PM

Not sure if 08/09 are truly any different but here is one that says for 08/09 for one side. https://www.ebay.com/itm/133021224778

There are others on eBay as well. It is one piece and goes under the metal rail. I can only guess your are either broken or intentionally cut off for some reason.

Old 06-24-2021, 06:48 PM

Quick Reply: Roof Gutter Seam Seal Rotted