Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Rear access open?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 10:12 AM
Default Rear access open?

I looked at many old posts but couldn’t find a clear answer or if their fixes worked for this issue.

my 2003 Hummer has a Rear access open alert coming across the dash. It sets off my alarm if my vehicle is locked.

anyone know how to fix this at all? Do I need to replace the latch?

Old 08-10-2019, 11:50 PM

Mine had this and it was because one of my latches was bad. I replace it and it quit.

Walk around the back and pull on the back left and right bottom and see if it's actually latching. If not replace it

Old 08-11-2019, 08:06 AM

I've had this issue with my Denali for a good while now, their are a couple ways to test it and see if its the latch or a bad connection in the BCM. For mine I pulled the connector on the BCM that has the rear hatch wiring going to it to see if it would indicate the rear hatch was ajar. The switch is normally open on my denali so with the connector pulled if it sounded then I know it is the BCM. From the videos I watched there are only 2 styles of BCM's for the GMT800 trucks, one with all the plugs on the end and one with all the plugs on the end and one plug on the face of the module the plug on the face is where the rear door wiring is located. Normally the H2 is similar to the Denali and Escalade
You see this one, https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...ss-open-41464/
Neal

Last edited by legerwn; 08-11-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:08 AM

I too have had this issue. As you know there are two latches on the tail gate both bottom left and right side. You can try and troubleshoot by having someone in the driver seat with the truck in drive and foot on the brake, while you go behind the back of the truck and attempt to nudge one side and then the other to see which latch turns the 'back hatch open' message off on the DIC. Once you know which one it is, it might not need to be replaced; because it could be just dirty. High pressure air or water, and perhaps a bit of lube like wd-40 should get you back online without too much effort.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:31 PM

Loss of signal from the bcm! Go to the connectors and use an electronic contact cleaner to clean both ends of the connection, let dry, then coat with dielectric grease. GL

Old 08-13-2019, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Loss of signal from the bcm! Go to the connectors and use an electronic contact cleaner to clean both ends of the connection, let dry, then coat with dielectric grease. GL

I'll give this a shot! Thank you

I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by clsimmon
I too have had this issue. As you know there are two latches on the tail gate both bottom left and right side. You can try and troubleshoot by having someone in the driver seat with the truck in drive and foot on the brake, while you go behind the back of the truck and attempt to nudge one side and then the other to see which latch turns the 'back hatch open' message off on the DIC. Once you know which one it is, it might not need to be replaced; because it could be just dirty. High pressure air or water, and perhaps a bit of lube like wd-40 should get you back online without too much effort.

WD40 worked! So far so good.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by robthomas16
WD40 worked! So far so good.
Disregard...back to the same issue.

Electronic Contact cleaner time!

Old 08-22-2019, 07:51 AM

Try and identify either the left or right side latch this is giving you the problem. If cleaning and lubing doesn't work, it might need to be replaced.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by clsimmon
Try and identify either the left or right side latch this is giving you the problem. If cleaning and lubing doesn't work, it might need to be replaced.

When you took yours apart, did you have to be careful with pulling a sensor off the latch?

Just wondering when I start taking it apart, is there anything I should look out for?

I appreciate the advice btw.

Quick Reply: Rear access open?