Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Re-installing Tire Inflator on H2 with Coil Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 10:41 AM
Default Re-installing Tire Inflator on H2 with Coil Suspension

Hi all,

New 03 owner here --- I've tried to go through the forums on this topic already, but no clear cut answers on what I want to do or how to do it.

Any guidance would be very appreciated!

The previous owner replaced the air suspension with coils/springs:

1.) In that process, would the person have removed the compressor?

2.) If the compressor was removed, would it be possible to add one JUST for the purpose of inflating tires?

3.) My "Service Air Suspension" message still appears. Two different forum contributors have said different things related to pulling relays and disconnecting batteries to remove the message. But unsure which one to try. Likely, I would just tell my mechanic and he could do it for me.

Thanks all!

Old 09-08-2021, 10:44 AM

you can check behind your rear tow hitch for the compressor assembly

Old 09-08-2021, 02:05 PM

Sadly it is not possible to section-off the tire inflator without having a working Air Suspension System.

Essentially the AS Module is a lot more sophisticated than meets the eye, in effect its a sophisticated microcontroller, for example the module :-
  • Itself needs to be there as it communicates with the BCM.
  • Monitors the various control valve currents.
  • Controls the Inlet Valves and Exhaust Solenoids
  • Monitors the ride-height sensors and their currents.
  • Monitors the Air-bag pressure levels.
  • Monitors the compressor over-temperature switches.
  • Monitors the battery ignition status
  • Controls the Extended-Ride-Height lamp
  • Communicates the Tire-Inflator switch settings.
If any of these fail a DTC will be set and the message "Service Air Suspension" will be displayed.

Usually if your AS ECU has been removed, and you cycle the battery power the above message will go away.

Probably not the answer you wanted.

Someone may have found a way to hook up a compressor and a switch but it wont be such a neat solution.

Old 09-08-2021, 03:23 PM

Only way I see it working would be as Ocean said, the AS module would have to be totally disconnected or it will just disable the entire system, then you could remove the valves, and just have the compressor direct to the accessory inflator valve. Then figure some way to still use the main compressor relay on the firewall to still power the compressor itself, and then use the accessory inflator switch in the back to control the compressor relay. Would take a bit of rewiring and fiddling to rework the compressor shelf setup but would be doable since the main power is already run to the relay. Trick would be finding where the accessory inflator switch wiring goes and getting that to the relay under the hood.

On mine, I've wondered how I might go about adding an actual air tank to the setup. Hit that dash button to raise the rear and it would jump up near instantly... the idea though is that you could add a port for air tools, air horn, faster inflation, etc if it had an actual air holding tank. I've just never had time to really see if I could figure a way to do it and probably never will.