Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

One Q from hopeful future owner: Will I ever regret buying H2?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 08:48 AM
Default One Q from hopeful future owner: Will I ever regret buying H2?

Hello all - excited to be here. I want to buy an H2. Because I work very hard and I deserve it. Hubby not so sure it’s a good idea. Last thing I want is for him to be able to say “I told you so”. When I decide on my new toy, will I ever regret it? Loaded question but hope other like-minded ladies will chime in. Thank you kindly!

Old 12-01-2019, 09:15 AM

That depends on a lot of factors, year, location of vehicle, mileage, have the common issues bee addressed? For pure enjoyment of the vehicle no you will not regret it at all! When you are possibly replacing all of the brake lines or replacing the broken header bolts maybe, but if you are the type who enjoys working on a vehicle and marveling in your accomplishments then no, no regrets at all!

A little research on the vehicle will help make your decision. Look through the forums and you’ll find the majority of the common issues with the H2s, then you will know what to look for and what questions to ask Before you purchase.

Old 12-01-2019, 11:47 AM

They are old vehicles. Things are going to break, wear out, etc. You can definitely expect to be replacing normal wear items even with a low mileage H2, they are still older in years. I personally would not consider an H2 as a daily driver given the amount of H2 specific interior/exterior parts which cannot be found and if they are found they are extremely expensive. Many still do daily drive them which is awesome! There is nothing like an H2 (other than an H1 lol) so regret it, I don't think so! Just be prepared to have things replaced and repaired when needed.

Old 12-01-2019, 05:53 PM

you might want to take fuel economy into consideration into your monthly budget. the older ones are like 8 to 9 miles per gallon normal city driving the later ones are not much better.

in less then 10 months i have had to put in over 3,000 USD in parts on my 2003 and it still needs a bit more.
it needed all the suspension replaced, a steering stabilizer damper, a shift linkage and transmission work within the first 3 days of ownership, all fluids replaced, a dash cluster replaced, a heating control, a bunch of odds and ends, drivers door hinges where worn out had to replace, body bushings rotted, parking brakes cables replaced and unsiezed the braking mechs, rear tow bar replaced as it was totally rotted, fix a few water leaks on the roof lights, body and doors,
had to purchase a GM tech 2 scanner to service the truck and reprogram some modules. and about 3 days of descaling rust from the frame and treating the metal. had to replace the rear differential cover as well because of the heavy rusting.
but she is mostly sorted now.. i daily drive it. with 210,000 miles on the odometer
luckily i have a friend that owns a salvage yard if not i would be into it for way more. many parts are interchangeable with other gm vehicles

Old 12-01-2019, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by M209
Hello all - excited to be here. I want to buy an H2. Because I work very hard and I deserve it. Hubby not so sure it’s a good idea. Last thing I want is for him to be able to say “I told you so”. When I decide on my new toy, will I ever regret it? Loaded question but hope other like-minded ladies will chime in. Thank you kindly!
Not a "lady", however I will "chime in". My Hummer is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned, and I've had many. I've looked for a close replacement, however a new close replacement will set me back $60k, just for the truck, +maintenance and repairs. I'm sitting back with all the extra money, keeping my Hummer, and no matter what comes up, I will still be ahead+$$$$$!
I'm now at around $200 per month for purchase+maintenance+repairs, on a 13yr old vehicle. Yet, replacing @$60k will cost me around $400 per month over 13yrs, just for the purchase alone! (not including maintenance and repairs).
My advice is, due diligence, there are many willing, to sell cheap.

Last edited by hummerz; 12-01-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:53 PM
Default Thanks to everyone for replies!

Appreciate everyone’s feedback!

Old 02-01-2020, 03:14 PM

M209, it’s been a little while now, what did you decide on getting an H2?

I am a lady and I have an '05 H2 that has been my daily driver for 12 years. I love my H2, and I also use it as a true 4x4. I do the majority of maintenance on my H2 thanks to a dad that had me turning wrenches with him as young as I can remember. I also do the majority of maintenance on my H2 because I am particular, and I have yet to find a mechanic that carries my same viewpoints. My viewpoints being that even if a part is not worn out but is showing considerable wear and it has to be removed to repair something else, replace it then not later. H2's have certain things that need replacing on a certain "scheduled" basis like CV axles and wheel hubs. Keeping up with these things will keep you happy and your H2 on the road for a very long time. Here in Florida, we get lots of sun and lots of rain. The cab light gaskets dry rot quickly. I replace them every year or so, and I replace the entire cab lights about every 5 years. I do highly recommend the electric running boards if you wear heels to work most days like I do. The regular nerf bars will eat a pair of heels up in a heartbeat.

I have people seriously wanting to buy my H2 even now, but I love it so much I just can’t part with it. Now, I don’t have any kids getting in and out of my H2 regularly, but the ones that do ride in it absolutely love it.

The H2 carrying some precious cargo.

This was after a day of hunting.

There was something about this sign that just made me do it.

Old 02-05-2020, 07:55 PM
Default Buy a 2008 or 2009 that is well maintained

My advice is to get a well maintained 2008 or 2009. I can only speak to my experience. I own a 2008 with 167k miles. I’ve had it for 10 years. The 2008 and 2009 are the most desirable years since there were many significant upgrades and improvements like the engine, interior, and more. Overall, it’s been a gem for me. Happy to share more details.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:01 PM
Default Going to pass for now

Really appreciate the comments here. Since I know nothing about vehicle mechanics and although hubby does his DIY days are long passed I have sadly decided to not get an H2. Disappointing but guess will save myself some headaches.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by M209
Really appreciate the comments here. Since I know nothing about vehicle mechanics and although hubby does his DIY days are long passed I have sadly decided to not get an H2. Disappointing but guess will save myself some headaches.
Ah, a nagging headache...sometimes from my wife, yet never from my HUMMER.

Quick Reply: One Q from hopeful future owner: Will I ever regret buying H2?