Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Oil Pump replacement-need help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 12:53 PM
Default Oil Pump replacement-need help!

Hi all,
So my 04 H2 suddenly has no oil pressure. I changed out the oil pressure sensor hoping that was it, but no change. There is a small tick in the engine the last time I started it the see if it was fixed, so I'm pretty sure now it's the pump. I searched this forum and google but I can't seem to find any directions on how to go about replacing the oil pump. Any links or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DanH3

Old 06-26-2014, 03:13 PM

Man I hate to be the bearer of bad news but typically if the pump went bad, you toasted the motor too. There is a bypass spring and valve that probably went bad as the pump itself is not likely to fail. I'm also assuming the oil level is OK and you didn't run it low on oil.

Pull the oil filter and see if you can see shiny particles. If so, you have bearing damage. If not you might get lucky with the pump only. Also put a new filter on, add 1/2 qt new oil and see if it is a bad filter.

Search LS forums for more info.

Tim

Old 06-26-2014, 04:01 PM

http://www.justanswer.com/car/7wwjv-...intenance.html

link with directions and images, good luck

Old 06-26-2014, 08:37 PM

thanks yoymon for the link. Very helpful.
Tharber, the oil level was at 80% when I first checked it. Being the low oil pressure alarm first showed up when I started it and not while driving, I never actually drove it with low pressure. I only started it a few times to see if adding more oil helped and if changing the pressure sensor fixed it. I'm really hoping that wasn't enough to damage any bearings. I will check the oil filter like you said though.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:01 PM

Look at ls1howto also.
They dont have an exact one for oil pumps, but its the same as the cam swap, basically. Just without swapping the cam.
Depending on how long you ran it, that small tick could be the lifters not pumping up.
Or you smoked the bearings. Just depends on a lot of things.
You can pull 1 valve cover and see if oil is getting delivered to the top end.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:34 PM

Sounds like an excuse to drop an LS into the beast.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:37 AM

So I wanted to follow up on my post so that anyone else with this problem can read the solution with my vehicle. So come to find out the pump was fine and the bearings were fine. The pressure drop was caused by sludge. Yup. I guess whomever had the vehicle before me took crappy care of it and there was a large build up of sludge in the oil and it caused a blockage. It was cleared out with two engine flushes and the radiator was replaced becuase as you may, or may not, know the oil goes through the radiator to get cooled on the H2. They replaced the radiator becuase after all the sludge gets broken up they said there was a high probablility that the narrow passageways in the radiator were now blocked or had a high potential to becoming blocked. The truck has been running great since then. Thanks everyone for the comments and input. Hopefully this helps someone else troubleshoot.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:15 AM

A container of Marvel Mystery Oil does wonders for issues like that too. Substitute a qt every now and again and it will help clean out the gunk. Sea Foam Green also has a product but I have never tried it.

Good luck and keep those oil changes up to date!