Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

New Spicer U Joint Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2023, 09:43 PM
Default New Spicer U Joint Review

Hello Hummer team, Installed Spicer U joints. SPL30-1350XC. Around $60 a piece now. Wow, The shifting and ride quality was such an upgrade. Super smooth. Couldn't even feel the shift ,buttery smooth. Working on a youtube video for install tips. Front and rear are both y
the same , 2005 H2

Old 04-25-2023, 08:04 AM

Great choice, Spicer has always been the best.

Old 07-11-2023, 11:25 PM

Vax1op369, I purchased Spicer front and rear shaft joints, but Im told I need to have the shafts balanced with the new joints installed. I don't understand why need to balance as the shaft is balanced and new joints must be within some balance tolerance. Any recommendations?

Old 07-12-2023, 06:34 AM

No need to balance after a U joint replacement, did you mark the driveshaft to the differential yoke and put it back in the same orientation? If you didn't and do feel some imbalance, you can unbolt the driveshaft and rotate it 180 degrees.

Old 07-12-2023, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by ejsmall
Vax1op369, I purchased Spicer front and rear shaft joints, but Im told I need to have the shafts balanced with the new joints installed. I don't understand why need to balance as the shaft is balanced and new joints must be within some balance tolerance. Any recommendations?
Agree with Phil, no need to rebalance. Especially if Shaft is coated in surface rust. Will never be able to have it 100% Do the best you can attempting to mark it and putting the yoke back into transmission. I haven’t had any issues with mine since installing new U joints.

Old 07-12-2023, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

This is quit the spicy review!

Of Spicer, that is.

Spicer is the way to go.

Old 07-12-2023, 04:23 PM

How do you know when it is time to replace these?

Old 07-12-2023, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by finall
How do you know when it is time to replace these?

Old 07-13-2023, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Vax1op369
Agree with Phil, no need to rebalance. Especially if Shaft is coated in surface rust. Will never be able to have it 100% Do the best you can attempting to mark it and putting the yoke back into transmission. I haven’t had any issues with mine since installing new U joints.
Thank you Phil and Vax. This all makes perfect sense. I think the guy doing my build is just being careful to protect himself from complaints. He recognizes that I'm very particular about how everything looks and runs. I did get plugged into a local machine shop which refurbishes drive shafts. They are going to refinish and apoxy the shafts, install the Spicer joints and balance them. Quote is $300. Im going to do this. Given the scope of what is being done to the truck, I will like to eradicate the Maine rust from every part.

Old 07-13-2023, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by ejsmall
Thank you Phil and Vax. This all makes perfect sense. I think the guy doing my build is just being careful to protect himself from complaints. He recognizes that I'm very particular about how everything looks and runs. I did get plugged into a local machine shop which refurbishes drive shafts. They are going to refinish and apoxy the shafts, install the Spicer joints and balance them. Quote is $300. Im going to do this. Given the scope of what is being done to the truck, I will like to eradicate the Maine rust from every part.
Ill work on getting the video uploaded to youtube if you would like to do the install yourself.

Quick Reply: New Spicer U Joint Review