Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

New guy / Looking at a 2003 H-2 / Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 06:04 PM

6.0 (IRON BLOCK)

Old 06-04-2021, 08:05 AM

While I have not owned one myself I do a ton of work with various state agencies. What I have been told on the 2008 through like 2013 GM trucks and SUV's is that they have is that over 90% needed the transmission rebuilt at 150,000 miles or less. That being said, the 03-07 H2's (due to their weight) also generally will need the trans rebuilt within that same mileage as well. The 4L65E can be rebuilt to withstand the weight much better than stock though with certain upgrades.

On my 2003 I am at about 140,000 miles and my transmission is still just fine so far. While the 2003 does have the lowest stock horsepower that is rectified with some modifications. On mine, full long tube headers plus full cat-back exhaust and a custom tune made all the difference in power. Of course a full tune up can also help a good bit as well. With the age of these vehicles many are still on many of the original components like spark plugs and wires, never had the MAF cleaned, never had the throttle body cleaned, injection system cleaner run, fuel filter replaced (03 and some early 04 models only), etc. which all combined can lead to some fairly poor performance.

I personally think the seats in the 03-07 are more comfortable but the 08-09 is decidedly a bit more "modern" looking. Unless the prior owner was on top of things there are a number of things that must be dealt with on an H2 as well like the inevitable leaks. Those are not an an IF but when and from where. If the prior owner has already sorted that sort of stuff our properly than you are saved some aggravation later but that is not always able to be verified if for example you are buying from a dealer or the private seller is claiming they have done this and that but at the same time it is obvious they take poor care of their vehicles.

Old 06-07-2021, 09:47 AM

Regarding engines
Just to clarify: Sounds like the "fuel saving" cylinder deactivation system creates more problems than it is worth?
Do all years (03 thru 09) of the H2 have this system?

Regarding H2 Transmissions
I thought I heard that the 03 thru 07 were the years that had tranny problems and that the 08-09 Gen2 had a better tranny???
Comments welcomed,
Cheers,
M

Old 06-15-2021, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by FTLFL
Regarding engines
Just to clarify: Sounds like the "fuel saving" cylinder deactivation system creates more problems than it is worth?
Do all years (03 thru 09) of the H2 have this system?

Regarding H2 Transmissions
I thought I heard that the 03 thru 07 were the years that had tranny problems and that the 08-09 Gen2 had a better tranny???
Comments welcomed,
Cheers,
M
NO, they do not all have cylinder deactivation. Certainly our 07 does not. So earlier ones will not either. Can not speak for the 08-09.
One nice thing going from our 06 to 07 is the larger exhaust system on the 07. Feels more powerful (not sure if it actually is). But it is more free-flowing.
I personally despise cylinder deactivation. Had that on our C7 and C8 Vettes, and it sounds and feels weird.

You either like dash ******* (03-07) or you do not (08-09). That should help you decide.
Ditto for minor other changes like black vs silver bumpers.

Never a problem with the transmission.
But I change ALL (YES T-case, diffs, trany + brake fluid) every 2 years in the vehicle. Of course sooner when the vehicle tells you to change motor oil. Cheap insurance.
Suggest that is the first thing you do when you get your (surely underserviced) H2.
Followed by a coolant flush if it is older than 5 years or owner does not know.
Look at your PS fluid also. Some H2s will have dirty fluid (not sure why). That needs a power flush and you can DIY that with some effort.
These vehicles are tough on the diffs and T-case, and the fluid coming out will tell you the condition of the units.
Synthetic diff fluid is pricey, but super cheap vs. a diff rebuild. I ONLY use GM AC Delco fluids, as I know there will be zero issues.

Keep in mind, as with almost all cars "the newer, the better."
You will spend more repair $$ on an older H2, so weigh the full-cost-accounting when looking at older H2.
The irony is that an older cheaper unit may end up costing you more than a newer unit.
Caveat Emptor can not be stressed enough when buying an H2.
Prices range from $12K to $60K, and for very good reason.

Last edited by finall; 06-15-2021 at 12:47 AM.