Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

New guy / Looking at a 2003 H-2 / Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by FTLFL
Not set on an 2003 but there's a local H2 for private sale that suits me... Still surprised at the number of H2s with asking prices of just around $15k... Cheers, M
15k sounds about right. You may be able to negotiate a little but definitely take a look at the entire truck and certainly check the ride for any unusual noises while test driving.Good luck.

Old 05-31-2021, 08:06 AM

Good Morning and a celebration of heroes for freedom...

As I'm learning more about the H2s I'm wondering if the gen2 2008 & 2009 might be worth the extra price they ask??? Better transmission for one... Advice???
Cheers,
Mark

Old 06-01-2021, 07:36 AM

I think it would be wise to get the later model if it's in the budget. Buy the nicest, newest, lowest mileage H2 that you can afford.

Old 06-01-2021, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by calif phil
I think it would be wise to get the later model if it's in the budget. Buy the nicest, newest, lowest mileage H2 that you can afford.
Yep, my thoughts as well... Seems to be a $10k asking price difference between gen 1 and gen2s...

Old 06-02-2021, 03:27 PM

I've owned 5 H2's. Three '07's, one '08, and one '09. The '08 and '09 have a meaningfully nicer interior with fewer squeaks, cracks, and pops. The extra 68 HP and 6 speed transmission make for a much nicer ride. I personally prefer the '07 because I don't drive an H2 to be classy.

I've never owned an '03 or '04 but I'm told those had more issues. The '03 is the least desirable as it had the lowest HP at 316.

Old 06-02-2021, 03:47 PM

all models have there quirks. the 6 speed tranny has dependability issues as well and the later engines have the cylinder deactivation that eventually starves the cam of oil and grinds the cam and lifters up. the Lq4 is one of the longest running engines in the gm fleet

Old 06-03-2021, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
all models have there quirks. the 6 speed tranny has dependability issues as well and the later engines have the cylinder deactivation that eventually starves the cam of oil and grinds the cam and lifters up. the Lq4 is one of the longest running engines in the gm fleet
Which years have the Lq4 engines? I think I just answered that question via web search. Answer: gen 1 / 2003 thru 07??? BRONXTECK; are you saying the Gen2 engines have that cylinder deactivation problem or gen1?
I have already heard about the potential problems with the 4L60 & 4L65 transmissions GEN-1 (2003 thru 2007) but also heard the idea to budget an upgrade to the 4L80 trans if original trans poops out...
Yous guys are a very much appreciated wealth of H knowledge... mucho thxs..... M

Old 06-03-2021, 10:33 AM

Been there with my silverado. bent a push rod but valve was not bent. Still can't figure out that one. Ruined the crank, cam, push rod, con rod. Gen 4 has stronger rods, I have better oil pressure in the lq4 though. I run a turbo lq4 in my ls swapped gbody and it takes a beating.

Last edited by fastNYsix; 06-03-2021 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-03-2021, 01:00 PM

damn that sucks.
the 4l80 is not a direct swap on the H2 it needs a good amount of work to get it in. needs ecu programming. wire harness conversion. and you need to cut the crossmember and flip the existing mount. also if i recall there might be extra sensors in the 4l80 that needs wiring in. also depending where your sourced transmission is coming from you might need a bell housing and a converter as they also came mated to diesel engines. best to get one from a silverado that came equipped with the lq4 and a 4l80 they used that combo for i think 3 years. there is also the issue of the H2 transfercase. it does not mate directly. i think it needs rotation 180* and the 4l80 output shaft is bigger then the 4l65e

Old 06-03-2021, 04:40 PM

damn that sucks.
the 4l80 is not a direct swap on the H2 it needs a good amount of work to get it in. needs ecu programming. wire harness conversion. and you need to cut the crossmember and flip the existing mount. also if i recall there might be extra sensors in the 4l80 that needs wiring in. also depending where your sourced transmission is coming from you might need a bell housing and a converter as they also came mated to diesel engines. best to get one from a silverado that came equipped with the lq4 and a 4l80 they used that combo for i think 3 years. there is also the issue of the H2 transfercase. it does not mate directly. i think it needs rotation 180* and the 4l80 output shaft is bigger then the 4l65e
Hey Bronxteck or anyone else,
Regarding engines
Just to clarify: Sounds like the "fuel saving" cylinder deactivation system creates more problems than it is worth?
Do all years of the H2 have this system?

Regarding H2 Transmissions
I thought I heard that the 03 thru 07 were the years that had tranny problems and that the 08-09 Gen2 had a better tranny???
Comments welcomed,
Cheers,
M

Quick Reply: New guy / Looking at a 2003 H-2 / Advice?