Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

New guy / Looking at a 2003 H-2 / Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 04:03 PM
Default New guy / Looking at a 2003 H-2 / Advice?

Hello Hummer World,
I'm looking at a 2003 H2 with just 100k miles... just wondering if there are any specific things to check to not end up with someone else's head-ache... Recalls etc.?
Cheers / mucho thanks for any advice...
Mark in Ft. L FL

Old 05-27-2021, 04:05 PM

Post a link to the ad.

Old 05-27-2021, 04:30 PM

set aside another 2k on top of the price. at 100k you will need a lot of maintenance that was most likely deferred.
it will need a full tuneup including spark plugs. all fluids changed especially differentials. most likely will need suspension work. check brake lines and fuel lines/pump as they might be close to end of life. check power steering for leaks the pumps and hydro boost might be leaking as well. definitely check for rust on the chassis if it is rusty take a look also at the transmission shift cable as the bushing might be on it's way out. and they tend to snap exhaust manifold bolts. brakes and tires might also need inspection replacement. old radiators do tend to mix coolant and transmission fluid damaging the transmission.

Old 05-28-2021, 04:27 PM

That's quite a list... Thanks for the help... As much as I like the "cool factor" of owning a H2 you got me thinking if they are just a money pit? I will certainly heed your advice and climb over and under the H2 before breaking out a cash offer... How long have you had your H2? Cheers, Mark

Old 05-28-2021, 04:33 PM

This is now an 18 year old vehicle. And every single one I see on the road are beat and thrashed, because even thpgh cheap to buy, scare parts are expensive. Since this was originally an expensive toy.

I just pumped $6k into our 2007 and you could not tell anything was done.

For a 2003, I would say you better set aside 10% of the vehicle value per year ( or $2-3K minimum, whichever is greater) for Maintenance and Repairs. If you cannot afford to do that, then this truck is not for you. Unless you do not mind driving a beater H2.

Last edited by finall; 05-28-2021 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-28-2021, 04:42 PM

i bought it late 2018. early 2019. after sorting out all the deferred maintenance on it. it has been extremely reliable every day no surprises other than the shift cable a week into owning it.
i am second owner though so it was previously maintained pretty well even with now 216k miles on the OD. and i maintain it as well with OEM parts. too many issues with aftermarket parts in the past to bother with them especially sensors.
i use it daily and would not hesitate to take a long trip in it on the drop of a hat. just stop and go every block 25 MPH city driving sucks fuel wise. about 8.3 to 9 MPG with no cargo only me and that's with me removing the rear jump seat and spare from rear, highway it does way better especially on flat highways. i have gotten up to 23 mpg on a 50 mile one way trip.

Last edited by bronxteck; 05-28-2021 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-28-2021, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by finall
This is now an 18 year old vehicle. And every single one I see on the road are beat and thrashed, because even thpgh cheap to buy, scare parts are expensive. Since this was originally an expensive toy.

I just pumped $6k into our 2007 and you could not tell anything was done.

For a 2003, I would say you better set aside 10% of the vehicle value per year ( or $2-3K minimum, whichever is greater) for Maintenance and Repairs. If you cannot afford to do that, then this truck is not for you. Unless you do not mind driving a beater H2.
Try DIY! I've only needed to "pump in" around $3k(TOTAL) in the last 9 years on my '07. Still starts/runs/drives like new!
On a side note, I spend $4k a year on my wife's GMC AWD(quoted up to $6k per year) for a 3yr lease. She got her heated seats.

Old 05-29-2021, 06:36 AM

Agree, you will have to add the maintenance expenses. Absolutely check out the frame for rust, check break lines, shocks, engine compartment for rusty lines and leaks. One of the most important factors, where has this truck been and it’s history. If it’s been in the north east, you are definitely dealing with lots of rust.
Any particular reason for the 03?

Old 05-29-2021, 07:43 AM

Great forum here!!! Steaks and Beers for all your advice... I believe the H2 I'm looking at was a California Car / hopefully dry and rust free like most CA Cars... Hope to inspect this weekend... If I buy it, it won't get but 20 or so weekly miles till chit hits the fan and it becomes a bug-out ride... Yes I'm a firm believer in repairing things on time and right the first time...

Old 05-29-2021, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel Z
Agree, you will have to add the maintenance expenses. Absolutely check out the frame for rust, check break lines, shocks, engine compartment for rusty lines and leaks. One of the most important factors, where has this truck been and it’s history. If it’s been in the north east, you are definitely dealing with lots of rust.
Any particular reason for the 03?
Not set on an 2003 but there's a local H2 for private sale that suits me... Still surprised at the number of H2s with asking prices of just around $15k... Cheers, M

Quick Reply: New guy / Looking at a 2003 H-2 / Advice?