Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

New gear box on 2006 H2 - noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 07:58 AM
Default New gear box on 2006 H2 - noise

Hi there,

I have had some work done on my truck 2006 H2 (mileage is around 66k)- I purchased Kryptonite upper control arms, upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods and center link, also idler and pitman arm. The mechanic said I needed a new gearbox so I had that replaced with a RedHead. I expect the truck to drive and feel more tightly in the suspension through to steering.

On driving home after the gearbox was replaced on slight turns I could hear almost a chaffing sound - the same sound if driving on sand that comes from braking slightly - as the brake pad hits the rotor. In the past I had the powersteering pump replaced so I should be good there (when I dropped the truck off the powersteering worked well). Turning the wheels is also much harder - almost as if the power steering is failing.

Is it normal when a gearbox is replaced to hear a slight chaffing sound on slight turns and stiffer steering? The guy that did the work is not my regular mechanic at the shop who did previous work so I am a bit concerned that he may have done something incorrectly or affected the power steering in some manner.

Any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:19 AM

if you think there is something wrong. then there probably is. can you have your normal guy look at it?

Old 03-17-2021, 09:59 AM

My redhead box has been nothing but a pain in the butt. I think they just require more fluid/pressure than stock. It also takes a while to bleed out all the air in the system, no matter what you do. Most replacement ps pumps come with the wrong orfice valve for trucks. I have a post on here somewhere explaining all of that. When I replaced my valve, it did make a difference but was still not good enough.

I'm in the middle of a new engine install now but along with that I upgraded my power steering pump to a 12 vane unit, I've read this is the cure. I'll let you know once I get the new engine up and running.

Tim