Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Need some guidance 2003 H2

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 10:25 AM
Default Need some guidance 2003 H2

Hello gentlemen! Hope everyone is doing well!
I just picked me up a 2003 H2 with some goofy issues going on...... Before we get to deep into this - let state - I'm pretty mechanically inclined - iv done engine rebuilds - transmission swaps ( All that good stuff ) I'm here seeking advice from those who have been there done that - I'm aware of most common issues plaguing GM vehicles and such......
I know lil about the hummer - other then it's made by ( AM General ) and shares parts with most GM vehicles.....
dash reports 327k miles.
No smokeNo over heating.
Slight exhaust manifold leak at start up.

So I picked this vehicle up on the 13th of this week......
It was down south of Dallas........
​​​I drove it the whole way home - with zero issue - however there are things I feel need to be addressed......
( Again this thing survived Dallas rush hour traffic - then drove all the way to okc ) - that says alot......
I have paper work that shows the motor and transmission both are new within the last 5 years.

Most concerning to me - when you first start the vehicle (after setting all night) - the oil pressure gauge will read (10psi) - and sometimes but not always if you let it idle long the gauge will fall to zer0 and the warning lights will flash on the dash ( if you rev the engine - the gauge goes up to 40 50ish psi but as soon as you let off back to almost 0...........However!!!!!!!! As soon as you drive it down the road ( one good pull down the street ) the oil pressure gauge starts showing almost 40psi at idle - then reving it causes it to go as high as 60psi........ And it will remain like this until it is shut off over night...... You can shut it down for a bit and when you restart it - it'll show 40ish psi at idle ( like a normal engine..... I would like some thoughts on this - the motor doesn't make any ticking or knock ( no smoking ) no rattles..... I know I need to get a mechanical gauge on it but I haven't had time..... I feel the gauge is faulty......

My next issues - someone has been playing with the headlight ( I was told they are aftermarket ) - they seem to be just stuck on - no high beam or low beam - just on ( look to me to be stuck on bright ) flipping between high and low doesn't change anything...... When you turn to the right ( they completely turn off ) turning left has no effect.....

​​​​​​ALso the windshield wipers are stuck on - ( fuses is pulled ) - I'm wondering if all this is related to a bad (turn signal switch)​​​​
the transmission also seems to soft **** and act goofy from time to time - typical 4l60e dying transmission ( I have a friend that owns a transmission shop ) so no big deal. We got a beefed up 4l80e with a nice Lil stall - I plain do a cam swap at some point anyway so this issue fix's it's self......

Now I paid lil for this truck - I knew it was gonna need some work - completely aware before I even showed up to look at it.....
Drive wise it handles great - smooth and clean going down the road.....
Id like y'all's advice/recommendations......
​​

Old 09-17-2021, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Somebody had moderated this thread (had it hidden) and I cannot figure out why................ so I approved it.

Check your oil. If it were me, not knowing what somebody put in there with your fluctuating oil psi, I would change it and put my favorite brand in with quality filter.

Good luck.

Old 09-17-2021, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Somebody had moderated this thread (had it hidden) and I cannot figure out why................ so I approved it.

Check your oil. If it were me, not knowing what somebody put in there with your fluctuating oil psi, I would change it and put my favorite brand in with quality filter.

Good luck.
Idk when I posted it ( the website said something about not being visible until approved by an admin ) 😐 technically 🔨🔨🔨🔨

Yes sir.... I was thinking of doing that as well.. the oil in it looks super clean as well - even after our long trip.... I run royal purple or castor oil GTX - was thinking of doing a 10/30 or castor oil 10/40..... Just because the extra miles.......
Any downfall to upping the oil weight ?

Old 09-17-2021, 11:11 AM

Good luck.
Everytime I try to post or reply it says it won't be visible until approved!? But don't have a issue posting under the newbie section?
I tried to msg you but won't let me - ? Technically 🔨🔨🔨🔨🔨🔨

Old 09-17-2021, 11:12 AM

Good luck.

Old 09-17-2021, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Your posts are what I was concerned with, you are able to do that.

I have no control over the rest. HF will not let you message anybody until you have a minimum # of posts, like 10 or ????

Old 09-17-2021, 12:19 PM

Your posts are what I was concerned with, you are able to do that.

I have no control over the rest. HF will not let you message anybody until you have a minimum # of posts, like 10 or ????
Oh ok..... Didn't know what was going on. I thought it was all related.... Appreciate you taking the time to fix it!

Old 09-17-2021, 02:21 PM

you could have a sticking oil pump pressure relief valve. or a bad oil pickup tube O-ring that is not properly seated or shrank
as for lights and wipers i would disconnect the switches at the steering column and see if the problem persist if it does then you know it might be wiring or BCM.

Old 09-18-2021, 07:59 AM

Stepper motor in oil gauge cluster, o ring on pick up tube, wiper motor circuit board bad, aftermarket headlights, if they are LED or the old HID inserts, then I would replace with stock and bulbs and see how it works, could be the switch like you suggested. Congrats on the new rig. Sounds like a cheap, fun toy.

Old 09-20-2021, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
you could have a sticking oil pump pressure relief valve. or a bad oil pickup tube O-ring that is not properly seated or shrank
as for lights and wipers i would disconnect the switches at the steering column and see if the problem persist if it does then you know it might be wiring or BCM.

Thank you sir!

Quick Reply: Need some guidance 2003 H2