Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Mods would you suggest along with 6" Fabtech lift I purchased

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 08:09 PM
Default Mods would you suggest along with 6" Fabtech lift I purchased

I’ve had my H2 since new in 2004. It’s black, 178k on it. I installed a 3”-4" leveling kit by Supreme Suspensions back in 2015. In October 2019 I purchased 37” Maxxis Trepadors on XD rim’s (the three piece looking, military bolt together looking ones). I have great clearance and no rub issues, they turn lock to lock with no rub. I hated the ride of the “Key Lift" so I purchased a Fabtech 6” coil spring kit with their basic “Vanilla Shocks". The lift has yet to be installed, it’s sitting in the back of the H2 until I gather further parts. A note to be made…that this is now my SHTF Bug-Out Vehicle. I currently drive it less than 1,000 miles a year. I drive it bi-weekly to keep the fluids going through important things and keep the flat spots out of the bias-ply Maxxis tires. Questions are:1. If you could put any parts in the front end to upgrade concurrently with the installation of the 6” Fabtech lift, what mods or replacement of parts and why? I want upper control arms…. How about brand recommendations. I know Fabtech makes their own for their 6” lift (currently priced at $750.00 for UCA) but is there better or equal that will work with the 6” lift kit, and will they work with this lift. I was considering Kryptonite, Fabtech, or Cognito if possible.2. Any frame modification to factory crossmember, gussets, joints, that might be weak areas in the front end that can be addressed at time of lift installation?3. Who makes aftermarket lower control arms? Anybody? I was unable to find any. Online for the H2. Suggestions please if anyone knows.4. Brake pads and rotors are new. I changed them all around after 176k from the factory pads and rotors. The factory units were only half worn at 174k… I had a rock jammed in one of the pads so I ordered all the parts, when I tore it down I was amazed at the life still left in factory parts. I heard they made the brakes outstanding on those. so as far as brake mods anything?5. Any parts that could be recommended while into the front end such as steering arm, parts not supplied in the lift kit, etc?6. As far as the rear suspension and components, other than what comes in the Fabtech kit, I am going to purchase Spohn adjustable rear control arms. It is a modification I am settled in on along with the panhard bar by them. I love the thought of getting rid of those stamped steel flexi rear control arms for some Spohn fully adjustable pieces to relieve the sway and flex introduced by flexi-steel.7. How about rear axle braces, differential covers, protective devices that might protect any weak or unprotected parts, or just look awesome?
Anything else that anyone can think of to strengthen this suspension along with performance for the mechanics of the suspension would be greatly appreciated. thank you, Ken M.

Old 02-02-2020, 08:59 AM

For a post apocalypse vehicle i think best would be to have a fully fabricated coilover front suspension, and yes they can be made for 4wd's also.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:28 PM

When I did my lift I also added the Cognito UCA's, Kyrptonite tie rods, replaced pittman and idler arm, pittman and idler arm support brackets, and a bilstein steering stabilzer. I initially used the same shocks that you have, recently one snapped in half on me. The rod literally broke and tore the side of the shock housing open like a can opener. Never saw that before. That was with street driving too. I just swapped them all out for the bilstein 5100's.

This is my 2nd H2 that I did the same set up on. I like the Cognito UCA's. I got the one with the set up for dual shocks just in case I want to add them. i had the duals on my old one and loved the set up. I also really like the Kryptonite products.....pretty much all of them. Go to the DMaxstore.com and take a look at what they have.