Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Low Oil Pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 10:52 PM
Default Low Oil Pressure?

i’m getting about 18-20 at idle, and 38-40 at WOT at 5,000rpm. what could be causing this? i do have an oil leak but nothing substantial. it’s on the passenger side, aswell as i noticed around oil pan. could it be oil pressure sensor? oil pump? clogged pickup tube? i have put lucas stop leak in it about 2,000 miles ago. bought it at 180k and have no clue what previous owner has ran/used before i got it. oil level is one dot low on stick from full, just added .25 and it didn’t help pressure at all. it even safe to still dive it? low oil pressure light hasn’t come on but its been making me nervous. don’t really wanna get rid of it, nothing else like it at all. should i be looking around for a new motor?

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1319.mov (11.17 MB, 7 views)
Old 05-14-2024, 08:55 PM

Is this at hot idle like after a run on the highway or hard driving? What’s it like at cold starts. This is still well within gm spec. You should be worried when you start seeing under 10. What viscosity of oil are you running? What is the ambient temp like at the time of the photo?

Old 05-15-2024, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Gavin Costigan
Is this at hot idle like after a run on the highway or hard driving? What’s it like at cold starts. This is still well within gm spec. You should be worried when you start seeing under 10. What viscosity of oil are you running? What is the ambient temp like at the time of the photo?
As Gavin has stated.... You need to answer some of the above. One thing I can pass along to you is...I have a 65 Corvette with a GMZZ 502 BB. Using 10W-30 at cold start it will show in the winter about 70Lbs at start up. After warm up and a long drive with hot oil, the idol Pressure is 20Lbs. Cruise speed is about 45 to 55 depending on what gear out of 5 with OD I'm in.

My point being, the first time I saw 20Lbs I almost dropped a Brick from the back end of my shorts! After reading the owners manual on the 502, it stated that you should not be worried about the 20Lbs at idol. This is normal for the 502....partly due to the cam and stoked crankshaft.

There are items as Gavin has mentioned that are causing that reading. My first guess would be the sender. Also I would be running a Good oil. As far as what weight to use with your high milage rig.... I'd wait to see what is suggested my your fellow same year owners.

Old 05-17-2024, 08:07 AM

Also possible that the stepper motors have been changed and the needle was not installed correctly.

Old 05-17-2024, 10:17 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by calif phil
Also possible that the stepper motors have been changed and the needle was not installed correctly.
Good Call.... If they don't count the correct pules form the Puter, then they can be off.

Those little pesky motors talk to me when I open the door and get in my 2. I can here them doing something in the back round. Not mainly from the dash but somewhere near the center NAV display.