Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Looking to buy my First H2

Search this Thread

Old Today | 10:23 AM
|
Default Looking to buy my First H2

Good morning everyone.
I am in the early stages of looking for an H2 for a recreational vehicle. I have been doing some research on line to get a good idea of the best year models to look at and for the Year models to steer clear of. I have noticed quite a few that are for sale have had quite a few owners and didn't know if this was due to the vehicle being bad, or the high cost of gas and other operating expenses or possibly both. Any input that You folks would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in advance,
Mark (Mac5793)

Old Today | 05:09 PM

Difficult to say why some have multiple owners. I picked up a 2003 with about 100,000 miles on it, previously owned by a business in Florida. In general, I always look for something with the fewest owners.

As for which model year is best, everyone has their own opinion. While I prefer the 2003 or any of the models with the four-speed automatic (4L65E) simply because it's an inexpensive easy rebuild compared to the 6-speed transmissions.... And really the 6 liter LS tends to last longer than the 6.2's. (less power though)
If I was going to do a lot of trailer towing, I'd probably go for a 2007 or 2008 that have the 6.2 l92 engine. That has the variable valve timing which improves low end torque, which equates into better fuel mileage than the 6.0 from 2003. Not to mention it's a hair over 400 horsepower. It all comes down to personal preferences. If you go for the later model you have the more expensive transmission.... That engine transmission combination is really the only variable in the H2 for the most part. Some have air suspension, some don't. With the exception of a few items like inside door panels and the rear wiper motor, it was pretty much assembled using off the shelf GM parts shared by Cadillac escalades, tahoes, suburbans and Chevy pickups. I would say pay attention under the hood and underneath and look for something that's been well maintained. If you're looking at one and the inside door panels are cracked or broken, keep in mind those can be several hundred dollars a piece. I've seen them on eBay pushing $1,000. So that's sort of a big thing to look for when considering one.