Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Hydroboost Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 09:16 PM

Bronxteck,

Southwest Performance parts offers a number of seal kits for our GM units, the standard 3 piece kit can be purchased directly from their site using this link:
https://swperformanceparts.com/kit5/
Depending on how deep you wish to disassemble the unit they have alternate kits with more seals and parts.

You can also visit their eBay store using this link (and save yourself 10 bucks as well)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Piece-Hyd...72.m2749.l2649

I did some research before I ordered from them and they have good reviews. I would have sprung for the more expensive kit but since my unit was simply leaking between the master cylinder and the hydroboost unit I decided to keep it simple and fix strictly what was broke. I was impressed with the kit and the new lip seal was larger then the original, you could feel the difference when sliding over the piston and fits tightly in the bore unlike the original lip seal.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by H2-SUT
It appears I have a leak that has developed between the Hydroboost unit and the master cylinder. Looking on the web it seems its a popular problem with units with lots of mileage or age and the problem is usually a simple lip seal in the front of the unit where it connects to the master cylinder. Other then the leak the unit works fine and I think I am just asking for trouble replacing the unit with a rebuilt one.

Has anyone here removed one from their H2 ? I saw two flavors of doing the job. They are either completed removed from the vehicle unbolting them from inside the cab or moving the master cylinder forward and splitting the unit then replacing the lip seal in the removed assembly. I imagine it will be easier to do the repair on the bench (considering all the springs inside the 2 halves) but getting to the nuts inside the cab seems like a real pain.

Comments, suggestions?
This is a 1 hour job, the hardest part is inside under the dash, make sure you have a sock wrench with a universal joint or you're never going to get at the 4 bolts that hold the hydrobooster against the firewall.

Your other challenge is getting the brake switch clip off, you'll need to get both hands up there, one to hold it, the other to get a wide flat screwdriver into the clip, turn it and then slide that clip off, it may take a few tries you'll get it.

In the engine comparment, heck that's the easiest part... order in a new hydrobooster, don't bother trying to fix the existing one yourself, not worth it. Also, buy either a new or rebuilt AC Delco, don't buy the cheap sh*t, its just not worth it and you'll have to then replace it again later.

Just remove the two nuts from the master cylinder and slide it forward away from the hydro booster, then spray a little deep penetrating oil onto the 2 nuts, loosen and move those tubes away, then turn the rubber hose so you can use a pair of plyers and close the clamp holders and slide that rubber hose off....

Do the inside work, remove those nuts and the clip, undo the brake switch and then slide the hydrobooster out, its got some weight to it. Take the unit inside to a bench, face it towards you and then under the holding clip holding the master cylinder rod & spring, it'll pop quickly so be ready for it and if you keep it facing at you, if it does pop, it won't go flying across the garage. Move those into the new hydrobooster and slide the holder onto place and now do everything in reverse. Replace the o-rings on the 2 metal lines, they should come with the new hydrobooster. Even if the ones on them aren't worn, you've got fresh new ones... use them.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:00 PM

Update, almost a month on the repair and about 1500 miles. So far so good, no leaks, work perfectly. In fact in the process of doing the job I did another fluid flush and refill with GM power steering fluid I noticed the PS pump is actually a little quieter.

I'm happy (knock on wood) and hopes the repair holds up. Either way if your mechanically inclined II would recommend replacing the seal first before just dropping 400+ on a new unit. IMHO

Old 08-23-2019, 01:39 PM

thanks for the update