Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

How to run new wires to hatch

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2023, 11:57 AM
Default How to run new wires to hatch

Has anyone ran a new wire to the hatch before? I'm relocating my backup camera to the license plate pocket and need to run the new wires for it through to the body. The existing harness has a connector above the headliner - are there any pictures or knowledge of how to add to this?

Old 12-11-2023, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by HellHoof
Has anyone ran a new wire to the hatch before? I'm relocating my backup camera to the license plate pocket and need to run the new wires for it through to the body. The existing harness has a connector above the headliner - are there any pictures or knowledge of how to add to this?
I installed a Camera Above on the top between the 3rd eye brake lamp. I pulled 12 Volts from the interior Fuse panel behind the pop out plate next to the driver side.....side panel. I ran the power line down under the pop out floor sill thru and to the plastic inside trim where it meats the carpet. I just pushed it under. When I got to the rear area I worked it up thru the trim and up thru to the area where the factory wiring comes out for the to 3rd eye. This is on my 2009 H2. I have a small 5 inch Color LCD monitor on the far left windshield stuck on with a Suction cup mount. Also have a switch installed to kill power to it at night as it is very bright and in your face while driving or making a left hand turn.

It works much better then those plate cameras. My camera looks down and side to side.

Old 12-11-2023, 03:47 PM

So does your wire come out through the plastic trim piece and go through the weatherstripping between the hatch and the body, or did you somehow fish it through the rubber coated factory harness to the hatch?

Old 12-11-2023, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by HellHoof
So does your wire come out through the plastic trim piece and go through the weatherstripping between the hatch and the body, or did you somehow fish it through the rubber coated factory harness to the hatch?
Yah Know...... I don't remember??
Tomorrow I'll shoot some pic's of the hook up and check out how I brought that wire up and thru. I don't think I punctured the flex gromet. It was a few years ago I installed it.

I'll post somethin tomorrow,

Old 12-12-2023, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mark R
Yah Know...... I don't remember??
Tomorrow I'll shoot some pic's of the hook up and check out how I brought that wire up and thru. I don't think I punctured the flex gromet. It was a few years ago I installed it.

I'll post somethin tomorrow,
Here's some pics. The wire after running into the rear cargo hatch is tucked under then plastic trim Then I drilled a small hole and passed the wire thru to the out side of the hatch behind the weather seal. And up the side and around the Top and it pops up and goes thru the open hatch to the camera. it pass's thru the weather stripping and then to the camera. When you shut the hatch it seals the wire tight. That channel is a drain for rain so it's no big deal as water runs thru there anyway.
The wire is tapped down which is a temp install which I will redo this summer.

I plan on coming up with a much neater install when the weather gets warmer. This was just a fast test install which is why I used tape to hold the wire. It started to get to cold during the install. So I decided to wait till this coming summer. I missed doing it last year do to some other projects. SO you only have to drill a Small hole thru the metal shell to get to the outside to pass the wire thru.

The other wire shown is the Rear Dash Cam for the idiots behind me. That wire is tied to an ignition power source when the rig is started. I don't remember where I tided into that..

Old 12-12-2023, 12:43 PM

Thanks

Old 12-15-2023, 09:05 AM

On my 2003 I fished the wires through the factory rubber thing.... I did have the headliner out at the time though so that did make it easier. I cannot remember if I detached the rubber boot or not but pretty sure I just poked a coat hanger through first then taped the camera wired to the hangar to pull them through it. I mounted my camera on the inside of the hatch with VHB tape to the upper trim (license plate style camera) since I wanted it up high and to stay clean and last forever. Works great and with the angle can still see the hitch (when one is on).

Attached Thumbnails How to run new wires to hatch-camera.jpg   How to run new wires to hatch-cam.jpg