Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

How to get to rear ac display/rca inputs 2008

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 12:12 AM

Installed the new rear piece with cup holders. Everything lines up perfectly. The HVAC/radio controls have 4 screws you need to remove it, and the RCA Jacks just clip in place. Direct swap.

the one thing that gave me a little fit was the wiring kept getting in the way of the cup holders, pushing them out when closed. That took me about 5 minutes to figure out. Just repositioning it did the trick though.

In the end, it was worth it. I used the opportunity to completely disassemble the HVAC controls down to the individual buttons so I could scrub the sticky stuff out of them. The previous owner was quite messy and a lot of buttons stick. Now—these don’t!

Good luck on your install!

Old 07-30-2021, 10:56 AM

Shoot us a photo of the final install... How did you remove the rear? From the bottom? From the top?

Old 07-31-2021, 03:48 PM

Here are the instructions to replace the rear console cover with photos! Nothing needs to be removed before pulling it off. Just keep the console lid closed. The rear cover is held on to the console by 6 clips, 3 on the left and 3 on the right. See photo posted earlier in the thread.

1. Pull from the bottom left/right to pull the bottom clips out. You may need to push the carpet down as it forms as ridge and holds the cover in place pretty tightly.
2. On each side, wiggle and pull on the way up. The metal clips are inside a plastic connector, so they pull out without breaking the tabs.
3. Here is a view with both sides pulled out. The wiring gives you just enough room to fit your hand inside and disconnect the cables.

4. You can reach in and disconnect the cigarette lighter connectors easily. The pressure clip is on the TOP.
5. You disconnect the RCA inputs with the pressure clip on the BOTTOM.
6. Then to remove the HVAC control which has two wire harnesses, you need to pull the little blue clips out on TOP, then wiggle the harness out.

Here are the wiring harnesses. I am taking this opportunity to replace my HVAC controller which is all scratched up. You can see the Bose amplifier down there on the bottom of the console.

Old 07-31-2021, 04:21 PM

Question - The cover with the cup holders has two screws which align with two positions in the console - so the console was built to accommodate the cup holder option, but they only appeared on the 2009... It looks like they would use clips similar to the others on the console... they help a screw connect through the plastic. If anyone knows what part number these are - please post!

Old 08-01-2021, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Brunob00
Shoot us a photo of the final install... How did you remove the rear? From the bottom? From the top?
Finally got some pics tonight and came to post them - your write up was way better, and the same method, so I’ll skip that. Still super happy about this find - thanks again!

Old 08-13-2021, 01:05 PM
Default Great Find!

Great find on this, I too jumped on the ebay offering. Looking forward to installing it! Kudos!

Old 10-03-2021, 03:11 PM

OK... so here is the view with the cup holders installed in the 08/09 H2. While I was at it, I also replaced the HVAC controller as mine had a bunch of scratches on the plastic. Then to prevent that, I placed an iPhone plastic screen protector on the plastic to prevent future scratches. When you buy the new HVAC controller, part number 15886277 for the 08/09 H2, it came with a flexible plastic cover to protect that plastic during shipping... I used that as a template on a standard screen protector and works perfectly... if you look very closely you can see it... but looks great, and now is fully protected.

Old 10-03-2021, 03:29 PM

Bruno, great job and a nice addition, now all I need to do is get off my *** and install mine too. Thanks for sharing your find and the installation!

Old 10-03-2021, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Brunob00
OK... so here is the view with the cup holders installed in the 08/09 H2. While I was at it, I also replaced the HVAC controller as mine had a bunch of scratches on the plastic. Then to prevent that, I placed an iPhone plastic screen protector on the plastic to prevent future scratches. When you buy the new HVAC controller, part number 15886277 for the 08/09 H2, it came with a flexible plastic cover to protect that plastic during shipping... I used that as a template on a standard screen protector and works perfectly... if you look very closely you can see it... but looks great, and now is fully protected.

Very nice! When I changed mine out, I used it as an opportunity to deep clean the HVAC controls. The previous owner didn't keep the truck clean, and these buttons in particular were extra bad. The seat heaters would press in but not come back out - actually most were that way. I took them all apart and cleaned them. Easy to do with a small screw driver and some patience. Oh, and when you do pop the actual buttons out, they will go FLYING! I was chasing them all over the kitchen and dining room.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:09 AM

Thanks for sharing, a lot of great info in this thread

Neal

Quick Reply: How to get to rear ac display/rca inputs 2008