Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

HELP! Need replacement back up camera 2006 H2

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 09:57 AM
Cool HELP! Need replacement back up camera 2006 H2

Attached there is the only picture I have of the now broken backup camera that came with the car. The camera vision was displayed on my radio screen. It sat just above the license plate and I can't decide which one it is. All my ex-husband left me after a 30-year marriage and I want to get it back in shape.

I am SO SORRY the images are so large, I am new to this!! Thank you in advance for any advice

This is the broken camera. All I can see is me holding is the lens.

This is what the auto parts store said is an "exact fit" for my car

Old 01-05-2021, 03:33 PM

This looks like an aftermarket camera designed to be "held" in place by the two license plate screws, is this how your old camera was mounted?

If so you should be OK with the one suggested, which seems to have a good spec. Hopefully the connectors will be the same, but it depends on how it was wired-in originally. The key point is preventing connector water/damp ingres, so it may have been "hard-wired" and sealed i.e. no exposed connectors.

One word of caution, if you need to cut-off the connectors, don't remove the little black junction molding (see below)

This little "blob"usually contains a voltage regulator to converts 12V to 5V, so it must be retained otherwise the camera will be permanently damaged.

The yellow connector is video with the signal on the inner core and ground on the outer braid (usually)

Similarly the black one is power, normally with +12V on the center and 0V on the outer.

The key thing is to get the +12V DC connection and polarity correct, a multimeter would help if you are unsure.

I'd be tempted to identify the original wiring i.e. +12V and 0V and Video Signal and Ground, and just hook-up the new camera to check that it works (no need to modify it yet)

The only issue you may have is that the Distance Scale Lines may conflict with the original radio's guide-lines if it had any.

Final thought, there are literally dozens of back-up cameras available on ebay, which are quite cheap, I've tagged one here as an example.

Hope this info helps.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:11 PM

if it still works you can probably stick it back on with double sided 3M tape they should sell it by the roll at the local auto parts. just clean the areas well and position it where needed the stick on.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lesliemag
Attached there is the only picture I have of the now broken backup camera that came with the car. The camera vision was displayed on my radio screen. It sat just above the license plate and I can't decide which one it is. All my ex-husband left me after a 30-year marriage and I want to get it back in shape.

I am SO SORRY the images are so large, I am new to this!! Thank you in advance for any advice
This is the broken camera. All I can see is me holding is the lens
Your images are not so large, however your hand is.Secure it to the plate frame! center it on the plate frame, drill a pilot hole, drive a black screw(not too long) through to secure to the the plate frame, level and repeat on the other side.

Old 01-07-2021, 10:36 AM

Sorry, I assumed "The camera vision was displayed on my radio screen" meant it no longer functioned, hence my rambling reply.

How is it going Lesliemag
???