Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

HELP! Key stuck in 2008 H2 ignition

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2022, 09:09 AM
Default HELP! Key stuck in 2008 H2 ignition

Seemed resolved at first when the shifter console cover was removed and loose wires were reconnected to shifter base but then shifter got stuck in park a few days later. Re-opened shifter console and re-wired which allowed shifter to shift normal but the key's stuck in the ignition allowing me to turn the truck off but not turn back all the way to take it out. Most of the stuff/videos I've found online seems to only talk about that wiring that's been redone twice now so thinking it's something else. Has anyone had this happen and it's the actual ignition or something else maybe? Thank you in advance.

Old 12-22-2022, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DjCortés
Seemed resolved at first when the shifter console cover was removed and loose wires were reconnected to shifter base but then shifter got stuck in park a few days later. Re-opened shifter console and re-wired which allowed shifter to shift normal but the key's stuck in the ignition allowing me to turn the truck off but not turn back all the way to take it out. Most of the stuff/videos I've found online seems to only talk about that wiring that's been redone twice now so thinking it's something else. Has anyone had this happen and it's the actual ignition or something else maybe? Thank you in advance.
May we assume you have a fully charged battery?

Old 12-22-2022, 11:13 AM

I believe so, just replaced it within the last year.

Old 12-22-2022, 11:48 AM

does the cluster display the correct gears when you move the shifter? if not then check the shift cable bushing on the transmission gear selector lever at the transmission. it might have popped off.

Old 12-22-2022, 11:58 AM

Yes it does but thanks for asking!

Old 12-22-2022, 12:02 PM

so then you have to check the shift interlock solenoid in the steering column to see if it gets powered on parking or neutral and if it does function correctly then check the key cylinder for binding. you can release the cylinder from the housing to inspect and clean. just be careful of the lock pins they can fall out if not careful.

Old 12-22-2022, 12:16 PM

Ok thanks!

Old 12-22-2022, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
. you can release the cylinder from the housing to inspect and clean. just be careful of the lock pins they can fall out if not careful.
How do you release the key cylinder?

Old 12-22-2022, 02:28 PM

if i recall you put the key in run position then there is a hole in the housing you push with something that fits like the back of a drill bit. i am sure the procedure is in the service manual.

Old 12-22-2022, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
if i recall you put the key in run position then there is a hole in the housing you push with something that fits like the back of a drill bit. i am sure the procedure is in the service manual.
Great. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: HELP! Key stuck in 2008 H2 ignition