Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Help with identifying safari rack

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 11:06 PM
Default Help with identifying safari rack

I recently cleared out a storage locker that had a roof rack with no markings of any kind. I was wondering if anyone could help me to make sure I’m on the right track here.

It’s 8’ long and 63” wide, it’s open towards the front I’m assuming for a sunroof application.

I’m thinking maybe a H2 at this point, I may need to find one for measurements

im in the Houston tx area

Old 09-09-2019, 11:20 AM

Odd one. I'm honestly not sure of the brand. The size seems right for an H2 though. I just measured mine out of curiosity and it looks like that would fit well based on your measurements. It almost looks as though it could be taken apart into two pieces (front half/rear half). I just sent a message to someone that it is slightly possible used to be who owned that. Once he looks, if he did I'll probably be able to tell you more about it. You wanting to sell it?

Edit - he looked. Not the one he had....

It sort of looks like Gobi but not quite. This is a Gobi - https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/p...900-obo-27869/ Note there is not a divided spot in the floor part like yours and the light mounts are a long flat bar. That Gobi also has all of the mounting brackets present which yours appears to be missing. Although if you measure the exact spacing between the bolt holes I could tell you if it would bolt directly to the roof rails on an H2 without using additional brackets.

Last edited by MixManSC; 09-09-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:03 PM

Thank you so much for the information. I do want to sell it, how much do you think it’s worth?

Old 09-09-2019, 12:32 PM

Hard to say to be honest. A brand new Gobi Ranger rack is upwards of $1500 and comes with all of the mounting hardware, warranty, etc. This is an unknown brand, unknown what, if any additional hardware, brackets, etc might be needed (does have lights but most everyone wants newer LED stuff now but I actually like the halogen ones), and shipping something like this is atrociously expensive. Although if it can be taken apart into two pieces that would probably help shipping costs a lot. The guy I mentioned that had one sold his for $300 but local only (he was not willing to ship it). The one he had was about the same size. I've seen used ones go for as low as a few hundred to over a thousand. Condition, age, accessories, all original hardware included, brand, location, willingness to ship or assist in getting one shipped, etc all play a part in pricing something like this.

I'd be willing to make an offer myself but with a few questions.
Can you determine if it can be taken apart into two sections?
If so, or if not, approximate overall dimensions (stacked and strapped together if it can come apart) and weight so one could try and figure freight shipping costs.
Are you even willing to ship it? Would probably need to ship freight or possibly Greyhound (yes they ship odd bulky stuff but not sure if that has to stay as one large piece). If willing to ship could you get it to a local freight terminal?
Exact width between the mounting bolt holes so I can try and figure if brackets would be needed (and how much effort and work might be needed to custom fabricate some if so).
Is it bent at the back (or does it just curve down that way)? Or bent/damaged anywhere? Hard to tell for sure from the photos....
Any rust anywhere?