Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Help buying a 2003 Hummer H2

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2023, 04:49 PM
Default Help buying a 2003 Hummer H2

Looking to buy a hummer h2, found a 2003 with 112,000 miles that had one owner. Couple things that I was concerned about. Firstly, the interior the car floor panels had cracks all along them. The next issue that stood out to me were the airbags for the suspension, looked like they were damaged but could have just been cosmetic wear. The car is very old so I am worried some major problems might occur. All in all, I would like your guys thoughts on getting this hummer as I am not knowledgeable in them. Thank you.

Old 04-03-2023, 08:44 AM

Good mileage and rust free are the two thing it has going for it.

Old 04-03-2023, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HF. I moved this for you to the H2 section which is were all H2 questions go.

"Very Old" and you are concerned, but looking for an H2............. what year did they stop building those? Oh yeah 2008, so they are all going to be old.

I have cars and motorcycles over 50 years old, and drive a 2003 winter beater very day December through about now. If you are not capable of doing some of your own repair work and renovations, then you might reconsider buying out of warranty vehicle.

Old 04-03-2023, 04:04 PM

Your bags are ready to fail. Interior trim parts are brittle now, and only available as used at wrecker or eBay. Really hard to find in wheat color, as that color was not popular on later years.

They sell polish for the lights, to remove the haze and yellow.

Very minor stuff. Wait till u have to replace the air ride!

Ditto for all other parts. Disappearing fast. U better be a real enthusiast willing to do the work, or pay $$$ to a mechanic.

Old 04-08-2023, 08:21 PM

Facebook Post

2004 for sale NE Pa. Very good condition with lots of pictures and maintenance done

Kevin

Old 04-09-2023, 01:22 PM

Hello
112k miles for a 2003 seems very low .
Most of the issues you will see are easy to fix
biggest issue are the plastic panels . I fixed a couple cracks with a music damper that stick on the back side of the panel .
This prevents the crack gets worse but its still there
I replaced my Oem headlights a few years ago . Got a pair in Amazon and they are still great .not only clear but also better look.
on my experience I fixed a few major problems . Such transmission, fuel pump ,oil pump and radiator
however after those issues my H2 has been very reliable .
we used it mostly to tow a boat for 300miles round
Also took a few road trips Florida-Tennessee and even Canada where we were able to test it in snowy roads being the best I ever ride
. What other 20years vehicle can do that
So my advise .. If you really wants a vehicle that standout , very reliable for Offroad , winter conditions or towing
but keeping in mind a few things are going to require attention and $
Go for it

Old 04-09-2023, 07:43 PM

The facts:
First the good point!
Low mileage considering the year, a good thing,
I don't see any rust, great,
Looks clean under the hood another plus.
Now the concerns:
More then likely all 4 door panels are shot, 4 Wheat door panels in good useable condition will set you back about 2K and even at that price might require some work to get them back as they should.
Trans is getting long in the tooth and could need replacement in the near future, Figure another 3k+ for that.
The rear suspension air bags are shot and require immediate replacement, you may also need some service work there as well, that is not the normal position for those bags to be in, plan on anywhere up to 2k on that system depending on the problems.

Obviously there are many other factors that could be an issue, do your homework,
Hopefully you are getting it for a good price and that the vehicle has a good carfax past, no accidents, etc.
Best of luck on your decision,

Old 04-10-2023, 12:50 PM

Hey OP, some time has gone by, and this vehicle will not wait on your indecision. So did you buy it yet, or walk away? Update please.