Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Help battery runs down after vehicle is off

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2023, 11:56 PM
Default Help battery runs down after vehicle is off

same thing here, but its went haywhacky, 2004 H2, ok, it eats ignition switches, has since it was brand new, its been doing goofy stuff again, like not wanting to start, a/c air or warm air wont blow thru vents,,, only blows thru defroster, then it started keeping wipers on, then the window washer fluid motor started screaming, but not pumping washer fluid, but making noise like she was gonna take off to the moon,i mean LOUD noise, and every time now i go any where, i have to pop hood, unhook neg on battery, because here of late it thinks something is running battery down,so red battery light comes on dash, oh stereo will keep going even when key is off and your out of vehicle, sometimes if lucky, i can pull over, shut engine off, restart it and wipers stay off, so other night we went ahead and replaced gear shifter solenoid and ignition switch, somthing i noticed, lots of wires wrapped in black tape that lead to the wiring harness that plugs into the interlock shifter solenoid, AND the little plastic peice that holds the wires, pink, yellow. green with black line and a green one didnt appear to be in right slots from what i could find online, and the solid green one was out, unhooked, and not sure where it goes, and the wiring harness, that has these wires hooked in it, and the soldered in place?, because not only do i think some mechanic didnt put colord wires in right slot, i dont see what keeps them hooked to the harness,we tried putting green wire down in slot, but theres nothing to hold it, and not sure which slot i goes in, anybody got simple picture of which slot each colored wire goes in? im thinking to order a new shifter interlock connector with the wires, but ones i see online arent showing under their white or greu wires if the are color coated so i can splice these into existing red or pinkish, yellow, green, black n green wires, and is there a trick to the ignition switch? it has teeth on bottom that you can click and turn, we had to put in it 3 times before she'd start and or go in gear, AFTER we'de pull it out, move teeth a notch, OH AND GREEN WIRE WAS NOT HOOKED UP TO SHIFTER SOLENOID DEAR lord i need help, CANT AFFORD DEALERSHIP, THIS GIRL NEEDS SOME HELP

Old 03-05-2023, 08:06 PM

Simple. You have a poltergeist.

Time to sell this possessed lemon. Who needs these sort of problems in life.

Since you are only at 5 posts, guessing u just bought a 20-year old vehicle. Trouble. This is not a Honda.

Last edited by finall; 03-05-2023 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-05-2023, 08:52 PM

if you can follow the wires you believe do not belong. it might lead you to aftermarket items that have been previously installed. things like alarms, remote staters, cut off switches, GPS tracking devices, satellite radio or radio adapters, tow controllers or weird aftermarket garbage
then remove them and reconnect or splice the factory harness back together.
a low battery can cause the body control module to do crazy things. try to notice if thats when the craziness starts. your mystery drain may be the cause.
exercise the demons

Old 03-05-2023, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by finall
Simple. You have a poltergeist.

Time to sell this possessed lemon. Who needs these sort of problems in life.

Since you are only at 5 posts, guessing u just bought a 20-year old vehicle. Trouble. This is not a Honda.
BOUGHT HER BRAND NEW, SHE'S THE RED 2004 SPECIAL EDITION , FIRST ONE INDY GOT, WITH THE RED MILITARY BIKE AND ALL WOOO-WHOO !, SHES ATE IGNITION SWITCHES SINCE NEW, I THINK THROWING SOME HOLY WATER ON HER IS NOT A BAD IDEA, AND GET THE SAGE AND SMUDGE HER TOO, BUT SHE WAS A SPECIAL GIFT FROM MY PARENTS, SO I WONT SELL HER, I WILL FIGURE IT OUT, OR TRY TO FIND A MECHANIC I CAN TRUST, PRETTY SURE THE MECHANICS ALONG THE WAY AT THE DEALERSHIPS DIDNT GIVE A RATTSaZZ ABOUT FIXING IT RIGHT, NO DOUBT WIRES ARE CROSSED SOMEWHERE, NEXT STEP SOMEBODY HERE SUGGESTED TAKE FUSES OUT OF FRONT WIPERS AND WASHER MOTOR,,,,,

Old 03-05-2023, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
if you can follow the wires you believe do not belong. It might lead you to aftermarket items that have been previously installed. Things like alarms, remote staters, cut off switches, gps tracking devices, satellite radio or radio adapters, tow controllers or weird aftermarket garbage
then remove them and reconnect or splice the factory harness back together.
A low battery can cause the body control module to do crazy things. Try to notice if thats when the craziness starts. Your mystery drain may be the cause.
Exercise the demons
we bought her brand new, and never added anything, but maybe a dealership put on aftermarkets parts when she'd eat ignition switches, i dont know much, but i know that little interlock solenoid wire harness thing had the green wire unhooked for starters when i got console off to get to the shift interlock solenoid,,,,and dang it i cant find any pictures of what its suppose to look like, i found several of the wired harnesses on ebay and such, but they all have white or grey wires coming out of the harness, and none of the sellers can tell me if under the grey or white coated wiring is the colored ones, the green, green and black, yellow, pink,,,, wish i could send a pic of what im talking about ,,,anyways at least if i bought a new harness thats already wired, i could splice into the factory wires under all the black tape, dear lord, finding a honest mechanic is slim to none, and not thrilled with dealerships either, oh well,,,,,,,,,,, un-hooking the battery every time i stop, and hook'in her back up every time i need to go some where is flippin awesome,,,

Old 03-05-2023, 11:38 PM
Default 2004 h2 shift interlock solenoid wiring harness

Originally Posted by MuseumMansDaughter
we bought her brand new, and never added anything, but maybe a dealership put on aftermarkets parts when she'd eat ignition switches, i dont know much, but i know that little interlock solenoid wire harness thing had the green wire unhooked for starters when i got console off to get to the shift interlock solenoid,,,,and dang it i cant find any pictures of what its suppose to look like, i found several of the wired harnesses on ebay and such, but they all have white or grey wires coming out of the harness, and none of the sellers can tell me if under the grey or white coated wiring is the colored ones, the green, green and black, yellow, pink,,,, wish i could send a pic of what im talking about ,,,anyways at least if i bought a new harness thats already wired, i could splice into the factory wires under all the black tape, dear lord, finding a honest mechanic is slim to none, and not thrilled with dealerships either, oh well,,,,,,,,,,, un-hooking the battery every time i stop, and hook'in her back up every time i need to go some where is flippin awesome,,,

THIS IS NOT MINE, BUT THIS IS WHAT I WANTA KNOW, CAN I BUY ONE, WIRED AND READY TO SPLICE

Old 03-06-2023, 12:15 AM

Maybe if you do not have good mechanics in your area, look for a mobile electronics installation shop. The guys who install high end stereos, radar detectors, etc. They know wiring better than a dealership mechanic.

Especially if you have aftermarket stuff which should be removed *properly*, but sodering and heat-shrinking wires back together. NOT crimping. Soldering.

You need wiring diagrams for your year of Hummer. They show all the connectors. The shop manual shows the pin-out and what wire goes where in the connector.

What is wrong with the connector in your photo? Did the green wire fall out of it? You were not clear in your description.

Lot easier to fix a connector rather than trying to buy a new one. GM does carry connectors. Your question above is for the Parts Guys. Go to your GM parts counter, and take your VIN.
I do not know that particular connector, but blue areas are typically what you slide or pull to free the wires in the connector.

Hope this info helps. Did you sage it yet?

Mine is the same red color, the first year for that color was 2007 for Canada, adn only on the SE. The USA got Victory Red starting in 2004. Nice.

Last edited by finall; 03-06-2023 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-06-2023, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by finall
maybe if you do not have good mechanics in your area, look for a mobile electronics installation shop. The guys who install high end stereos, radar detectors, etc. They know wiring better than a dealership mechanic.

Especially if you have aftermarket stuff which should be removed *properly*, but sodering and heat-shrinking wires back together. Not crimping. Soldering.

You need wiring diagrams for your year of hummer. They show all the connectors. The shop manual shows the pin-out and what wire goes where in the connector.

What is wrong with the connector in your photo? Did the green wire fall out of it? You were not clear in your description.

Lot easier to fix a connector rather than trying to buy a new one. Gm does carry connectors. Your question above is for the parts guys. Go to your gm parts counter, and take your vin.
I do not know that particular connector, but blue areas are typically what you slide or pull to free the wires in the connector.

Hope this info helps. Did you sage it yet?

Mine is the same red color, the first year for that color was 2007 for canada, adn only on the se. The usa got victory red starting in 2004. Nice.
hi finall, thanks for getting back with me, and the mobile stereo guys is a super idea, and the connector i posted photo of is the piece im talking about, my green wire was un-hooked, and i have no idea what slot it goes in, but wouldnt matter much if i did at this point, because are those wires soldered in to the plastic harness from factory ? Back to photo i posted of wiring harness, thats from another hummer owner that all his wires got loose,, yikes, mine only green one is loose and havent done holy water or saging yet, its 2am, will do later today, and a lot of praying,being a female i was so excited thinking i could fix this myself, i really thought it was the ignition switch,and or shifter solenoid, and it would be that easy, but nope !,, OH AND THERE NO AFTER MARKET STUFF, SHE IS ALL FACTORY

Old 03-06-2023, 12:30 PM

the pins are removable. that is what the blue tabs are for you pull them back then you use a depinning tool to remove the pin. the replacement pigtails will all be wired in one color and you have to make sure your colors are going into the right pin locations. you can probably use a label maker or pieces of tape to wright down which pin is what color to simplify the install or a dab of colored markers or nail polish.

Old 03-06-2023, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by MuseumMansDaughter
same thing here, but its went haywhacky, 2004 H2, ok, it eats ignition switches, has since it was brand new, its been doing goofy stuff again, like not wanting to start, a/c air or warm air wont blow thru vents,,, only blows thru defroster, then it started keeping wipers on, then the window washer fluid motor started screaming, but not pumping washer fluid, but making noise like she was gonna take off to the moon,i mean LOUD noise, and every time now i go any where, i have to pop hood, unhook neg on battery, because here of late it thinks something is running battery down,so red battery light comes on dash, oh stereo will keep going even when key is off and your out of vehicle, sometimes if lucky, i can pull over, shut engine off, restart it and wipers stay off, so other night we went ahead and replaced gear shifter solenoid and ignition switch, somthing i noticed, lots of wires wrapped in black tape that lead to the wiring harness that plugs into the interlock shifter solenoid, AND the little plastic peice that holds the wires, pink, yellow. green with black line and a green one didnt appear to be in right slots from what i could find online, and the solid green one was out, unhooked, and not sure where it goes, and the wiring harness, that has these wires hooked in it, and the soldered in place?, because not only do i think some mechanic didnt put colord wires in right slot, i dont see what keeps them hooked to the harness,we tried putting green wire down in slot, but theres nothing to hold it, and not sure which slot i goes in, anybody got simple picture of which slot each colored wire goes in? im thinking to order a new shifter interlock connector with the wires, but ones i see online arent showing under their white or greu wires if the are color coated so i can splice these into existing red or pinkish, yellow, green, black n green wires, and is there a trick to the ignition switch? it has teeth on bottom that you can click and turn, we had to put in it 3 times before she'd start and or go in gear, AFTER we'de pull it out, move teeth a notch, OH AND GREEN WIRE WAS NOT HOOKED UP TO SHIFTER SOLENOID DEAR lord i need help, CANT AFFORD DEALERSHIP, THIS GIRL NEEDS SOME HELP