Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2022, 05:34 PM
Default Help

I am thinking about changing my oil pan gasket because I have a bad leak. Right now I am just eliminating things that I think it may be. I have change the valve cover gaskets but the leak persist. My question is if I do this do I have to take the transfer case apart or can can it be done without doing that? Any suggestions or videos will be greatly appreciated!

Old 10-04-2022, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Hdog
I am thinking about changing my oil pan gasket because I have a bad leak. Right now I am just eliminating things that I think it may be. I have change the valve cover gaskets but the leak persist. My question is if I do this do I have to take the transfer case apart or can can it be done without doing that? Any suggestions or videos will be greatly appreciated!

The transfer case has nothing to do with it, it sits at the back of the transmission off to the side.

You will have to lower the front differential in order to remove the oil pan. I believe it has 4 bolts that hold it in place, it's not that difficult to do. Just have the right tools, like a bottle jack or hydraulic jack for the bottom of differential.

If you proceed with changing the oil pan gasket, you might as well replace the oil pick up tube gasket (less than $2). They get flattened out and hard which lowers your oil pressure.

Are you sure your oil pan gasket is leaking and not the oil cooler lines where it attaches to the block?

First thing I would do is to drop the skid plates, take you H2 to the high pressure hand car wash and clean as much crap off the oil pan and surrounding areas as possible. Then, you will be able to see where the leaks are coming from.

Old 10-04-2022, 06:35 PM

I have a leak on both sides of the pan near the back. I check inside the bell housing of the transmission and it is not wet with oil. The only other place I can think of is the oil pan gasket since it is leaking on both sides.

Old 10-04-2022, 06:46 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by Hdog
I have a leak on both sides of the pan near the back. I check inside the bell housing of the transmission and it is not wet with oil. The only other place I can think of is the oil pan gasket since it is leaking on both sides.

Most likely the oil pan gasket, especially if you have high miles.

If you're going to replace it, it still makes sense to degrease and high pressure wash everything before hand to make it a cleaner easier job when you're underneath doing the work. Nothing worse than engine repairs in a crappy, greasy oil sludge mess. Smile

Old 10-05-2022, 07:34 AM
C57

I think I wouldn't hit the the area where its leaking too hard. You don't really want water to squeeze thru to the inside of the pan.maybe check the bolts to make sure they're tight first. If they're not tight, tighten them up, then spray it down. Using a good degreaser is probably a good idea. After that, penetrating oil on the diff. My $.02.

Old 10-06-2022, 08:04 AM