Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Headers to tailpipe complete system

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 06:29 PM
Default Headers to tailpipe complete system

I've done some searching to no avail.

Has anyone purchased a complete exhaust system from headers on back?

Not looking for a loud sound, just a nice free flowing exhaust system that I can replace myself without a muffler shop piecing parts together.

Wanting long or shorty headers, cats, y-pipes, muffler(s) tail pipe. Complete DIY system.

Thanks in advance. btw, I have an 07 H2.

Old 03-16-2021, 07:58 AM

I did my entire system myself. It is a bit of a project but easily DIY if you are going with a bolt on setup. You basically need two kits. A long tube headers kit with catalytic converters (get a good new set of manifold gaskets and a good time to go ahead and replace all 4 O2 sensors as those sometimes break when trying to remove) and then a cat back kit for the back half. The front half is a bit of a chore as you will likely break (probably already have at least one broken) manifold bolts which can be a bear to extract. Pretty much want a set of nice jack stands and get the entire vehicle up as high as possible on them. Remove the front wheels and wheel house liners for the headers for getting to the manifold bolts. I did go cheap on the long tube headers with a stainless OBX set - not unhappy with them but the high flow cats hardly do anything and I needed to adjust my PCM tune some to prevent getting a check engine light. For the back half I lucked out and found a new old stock GM Performance Parts (made by Borla) cat back full stainless touring setup.

All in all it made a very noticeable difference in power and of course sounds great.

Old 03-17-2021, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
I did my entire system myself. It is a bit of a project but easily DIY if you are going with a bolt on setup. You basically need two kits. A long tube headers kit with catalytic converters (get a good new set of manifold gaskets and a good time to go ahead and replace all 4 O2 sensors as those sometimes break when trying to remove) and then a cat back kit for the back half. The front half is a bit of a chore as you will likely break (probably already have at least one broken) manifold bolts which can be a bear to extract. Pretty much want a set of nice jack stands and get the entire vehicle up as high as possible on them. Remove the front wheels and wheel house liners for the headers for getting to the manifold bolts. I did go cheap on the long tube headers with a stainless OBX set - not unhappy with them but the high flow cats hardly do anything and I needed to adjust my PCM tune some to prevent getting a check engine light. For the back half I lucked out and found a new old stock GM Performance Parts (made by Borla) cat back full stainless touring setup.

All in all it made a very noticeable difference in power and of course sounds great.

Thanks for the reply. Whichever way I go, a quality "complete" exhaust system with headers is not going to be cheap.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:02 PM

I just put a set of Gibson ceramic headers on my 06 H2. As mentioned I had broken exhaust bolts and since the manifolds were coming off I decided headers going back on. Planning a full CAT back system next and researching options.

Old 04-07-2021, 10:35 AM

If you want to keep the volume to a minimum stick with the original exhaust manifolds unless they are cracked or leaking; best shorty header currently available is a Doug Thorley THY-309-C (they usually run about $475)! To help your H2 breath go with a magnaflow 49679 3" high flow cat y-pipe / magnaflow 16771 cat-back or Gibson 612501 cat-back.