Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

H2 stuck in park...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 01:51 AM
Default RE: H2 stuck in park...

has he tried pressing the button after depressing the brake pedal, that usually will do the trick.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:47 AM

I too am experiencing the same issue. I was able to lift my cover around my shifter. Inside the bay you will find a silver plunger/button. If you press that in.... you will be able to shift out of park. For now until I find out how to fix it.... I am having my wife just leave the car in reverse or neutral (makes me cringe), with the emergency brake on.

Has anyone else had this happen? What is the culprit? I want to try to fix this myself, as the last repair cost me $1500 (for a darn $50 fuel pump!).

Hope someone will post a fix.

Thanks!

Old 07-03-2007, 03:30 PM

The button inside the shift lever well, looks to be a solenoid. I checked and it is getting current, so the electric seems to be fine.

If anyone else has had this happen, I hope you post.

The problem has happened intermittently (I think I spelledthat wrong)in the past, but now its permanent.

I think perhaps the solenoid is bad. Does anyone know what it cost to replace the solenoid or has anyone replaced or had it replaced?

Thanks for anyone who takes time to post.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

I just happened to talk to a GM guy about this very same thing at the Beckley Event.... he warned me that some day my truck would do this and all it is is a wire that broke/came undone under the console by the shifter.... I do think he said it was yellow....

Old 07-03-2007, 11:39 PM

Thanks,

I found a post on the net... saying something about looking for a broken wire. I will look for yellow. Hopefully that is all it is. I like knowing that I am saving a ton of $$ from not having to send it into the stealership.

Old 08-14-2021, 05:40 PM
Default Cheap repair

Originally Posted by steeleclipse
Hi guys,

A friend of mine owns a H2, and unfortunately can't drive it because the gear selector will not move out of park. Has anyone had this issue? If so, how do you remedy it?

Thanks in advance.
My gear shift would move but not switch gears, cheap repair - see attached receipt.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:26 PM

My 08 had this same problem that developed shortly after I bought it. As many have mentioned there is a solenoid that is attached to the gear selector assembly, there is a button on the right side of it, this is the emergency selector release, depress it and you can shift the vehicle into any position.

There is also a plunger on it that is activated depending on the position of the gear shifter. When the selector is in park the plunger is depressed and this allows the removal of the key. These solenoids rarely go bad and are cheap to replace. Dorman make a replacement unit that is inexpensive if you find that it is actually bad.

In my case one of the wires on the connector had failed resulting the the solenoid not activating when the key was in the run position and the brake pedal is pressed. Initially this was intermittent and I could get the solenoid to operate by just moving the harness around so i new it was the wiring.

Considering the offending connector/harness moves every time you move the shifter it is not surprising it failed. To aggravate the situation if this cable is not routed correctly or has been moved from its original location due to service work or someone just fuddling around there can cause this cable to be stressed and fail prematurely. I was surprised that GM didn't put in some type of way to manually override when a failure occurs. I was considering drilling a small hole in the right side of the console in line with the plunger but the possibilities of being able to depress it using the small hole with a long shaft would be difficult. I guess popping the top of the console is not that difficult if you know its in there.

Any way The parts are cheap, for the cable check out: (https://www.ebay.com/itm/39212577714...MAAOSw45VdPV3b) the solenoid is available at just about any parts store and replaced.

Good luck!

Old 01-28-2022, 11:36 AM
Default H3 Alpha

I’ve only had my Hummer 3 weeks and already Service 4WD light came on & it gets stuck in park I found the button thank goodness but this morning it engaged and locked me out somehow

Old 01-28-2022, 07:44 PM